AT&T Service in California - Opinions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Masters, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Masters macrumors newbie

Masters

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great New Year.

I've been wanting an iPhone since the original came out. I love the device. Never been a big fan of AT&T service though. I live near the Sacramento area in California and many of my friends have AT&T and most of them have dead spots in their own homes. They have to go outside just to use their phone. Dude, that sucks.

I've had Sprint for almost ten years and really don't have any complaints when it comes to call quality. I don't experience dropped calls and the 3G speed is top notch (especially when using Opera Mini) and you just can't beat the prices on their plans. Alas, I curse Apple's 5 year contract with AT&T and I've been using a Samsung Instinct to ease my pain. But it's no iPhone. Yeah, I know the iPhone is not MMS capable, but I can overlook that. Emailing a picture to someone is just as easy these days with phones.

So, I'm asking you guys out there who have an iPhone and live in California (Sacramento/San Joaquin area) to share your experience with the call quality in your area. I'm growing inpatient and my Macbook is dying to sync with an iPhone 3G. I may have to bite the bullet and make the switch to AT&T... all because of a phone. *sigh*

p.s. I don't like the idea of paying more money for texting. Have you guys used the AIM trick to text phone numbers? How is that working out for you?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just bite the bullet, and if the service isn't up to par, return it :cool:

3. BlueCan macrumors newbie

Just try it. I've only had real problems when I've gone back into the Sierra. The valley is fine, especially if you're in the "mostly populated" areas.

4. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

I have the 3G iPhone and live in Sacramento but frequently travel back and forth between Elk Grove, Natomas & Rancho Cordova. There are a few dead spots on I-5 and around Grantline by Sunrise Blvd but I hardly ever notice "No Service" on my iPhone. I really haven't had much of an issue with my iPhone's service or AT&T. It's really all preference. It's actually kinda funny, the issue you're describing, I experienced the same issue when I had Sprint.

5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

biggest problem i have seen with iPhone coverage is moving between 3G and EDGE areas, or trying to use the phone in areas that have bad 3G coverage, and the phone not wanting to switch completely to EDGE but rather bounce between the 2 and cause connection issues

6. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

i live in sac and have had no probs with my 1st gen iphone. my mother in law has a 3g and has no probs. but i have heard (read) that att is going to be scaling edge back... link this b.s. and i might try to get out of my contract. i have had no problems with att until this.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I live in Rancho Cordova, and I've never had a problem with my iPhone. My job is over in Natomas. The drive through the Hwy. 50 corridor is pretty solid as far as coverage goes for me, on both Edge and 3G. Going up Sunrise, I've never had a problem either (though my SO drops coverage on her Razr when crossing the American River bridge into Fair Oaks).

Going up to Roseville and Auburn are fine, Elk Grove is fine, Woodland is fine. About once per month, I go to a seminar down in Lodi, and I haven't had degraded service down there, either. I'll be making a trip to Stockton in the next couple of weeks, so I'll test the waters there, but so far, the Sacramento Valley is great for coverage for me.

BL.