AT&T service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Algalli, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Algalli macrumors member

I would be interested in users experience with AT&T and the Iphone particular in NJ and FL. I don't care about EDGE versus 3G. I am concerned about voice conversations. I had AT&T many years ago and was unimpressed. I now have Verizon and am satisfied. I am going to get a Touch or an Iphone. Has AT&T improved their voice service.

Thanks

2. ~Phi macrumors regular

Downtown Chicago AT&T's voice service seems noticeably worse than my previous carrier (Sprint).

3. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I can tell you it is just about perfect in Manhattan !

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

Your best bet would be to try the service out. ATT gives you 30 days to try the service and if you are not satisfied you can cancel without paying the ETF.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Are you serious?

Chicago has one of the best AT&T networks in the country.

I've traveled all throughout Chicago, and voice quality is great, and EDGE service is great.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Some people seem to "hear" the codecs that AT&T use for voice compression more than others.

Compared to other carriers (esp. Verizon/Sprint), even with a full-signal, voice over AT&T can sound worse.

7. ncavs10 macrumors member

i have the iphone with at&t and have awesome service in a pretty suburban area in CT. i travel to the city, vermont and massachusetts fairly often and still have awesome service everywhere. AT&T has come a long way from years ago and i have had no issues thus far.

8. gandalf18 macrumors member

I have to agree. The AT&T network in Chicago is great. When I travel elsewhere, it can be a bit hit and miss though.

9. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I've had service with ATT when they were Bellsouth Mobility DCS about 10 years ago and have never wanted to switch. I live in Knoxville.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've used at&t across the US and have found the voice quality to rival that of landlines, everywhere I've been except in Flint, MI and Downtown Detroit. That being said, if a tower is starting to get full, voice is compressed greater that normal and that can cause some distortion, but much less so than the compression and drop outs that can occur on the CDMA carriers.

TEG

11. davedray macrumors newbie

From Philly

Hey, I am from Philly and I go down the shore to NJ all the time. With the exception of one spot on the AC Expressway, I have never had a problem with voice or edge. There is Jersey for you, someone else will need to help you with FL.

12. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Go up higher than the 30 floor and you're pretty much screwed. I can barely get a signal anywhere at that height.

13. Blevyouknow macrumors newbie

I'll be driving from Southern Indiana to Biloxi Mississippi this weekend and will be talking and working on my Iphone throughout. I'm very interested in seeing how it does. Currently, living in Southern Indiana the service is fine.

14. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

in nj

I am currently making a pitstop in Bergen County and the service is mostly 5 bars. At some times, I'll hit maybe three bars, but rarely.

15. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I'm in Tennessee at it works great. I was down in Florida a month ago... no complaints. Buy it, you won't regret it.

16. rfrankl macrumors 6502

17. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

LOL..... I know that spot .... It like kills the call .... like you just crossed the finnish line lol

18. jediistar macrumors 6502

Chicago has been great, but I vacationed in South Florida twice in February, both times were terrible. The att network in South Florida has always been moody, but it was really terrible and this was from Boca all the way down to Miami Beach. I was truly disappointed by the experience down there.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Don't forget that AT&T merged with Cingular, which had a pretty good network. Considering we're still talking stupid 4kbps audio on these phone calls (the same crap we've had for half a decade or more), it sounds as good as any other phones. The speaker for your ear and speakerphone both seem louder to me and the network is very widespread where I live. Better check their coverage map for where you live.

20. davedray macrumors newbie

I've got it down pretty well, If I am on the phone, I let them know were going to get cut off. I actualy think that every phone drops off at that point on the AC Expressway. Brother has Nextel, Parents have Verison. We all get kicked off there.

21. ~Phi macrumors regular

Yep, I'm definitely serious. Maybe it's just my iPhone but call quality is noticeably worse then the previous phones I've used with Sprint. Signal strength also seems to be jumpy for me. I'll regularly answer calls while at 3 or 4 signal bars and either have the call dropped or they can't hear/understand me.

22. alekona macrumors member

Service in South Florida

I'm a South Florida resident who can say with absolute certainty that their service is fine here. I'm in Port St. Lucie and have had the iphone and At&t for a month and no problems. The only thing I miss about Verizon is that my entire family had it so I never used minutes when I talked to them but that's what rollover is for. I mean in certain stores you don't get reception but that was true with my Verizon service as well. Get it and you won't regret it.

On a separate note...how is the service in Los Angeles and all around California? Going there in a month on vacation and just wanted to make sure I'm not going to have no reception.