AT&T Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacJohnson, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

I Live up in Gods Country in South Dakota....Well I want an iPhone bad...really bad...how can we get service up in this part of the world so we can get iPhones??

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Move? hehe. AT&T sucks, only thing i hate about my iPhone.

3. vienta macrumors newbie

I guess if you really really want one you could buy one somewhere else and then roam a lot, according to their website it will work in a fair amount of the state through a partner agreement (my parents are in Pierre but I haven't been back yet with the iphone to test things out). I don't quite know how that works since I thought all the providers in SD were CDMA, but apparently not. I don't think they'd let you do that for too long though without you getting dropped, and I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with data.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

AT&T has always been great for me. Why don't you look on the service map and see if you get service?

5. Cubsfan macrumors member

Where in SD? You can get service most places in SD, but I think the only place in SD where AT&T has a tower of their own is on North Cliff in Sioux Falls.

Overall though, you'll probably be kicked for roaming too much.

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hmm, I agree with others that you would have to roam around in your area.
    If T-Mobile is any good, you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone if you want.

7. Doju macrumors 68000

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

AT&T has always been great for me. When ever I call with a question on my bill, the portion I ask about is immediately removed. No questions. As for coverage, in central New York I have NEVER dropped a call. Not a single one. I'm always in a 5 barred 3G area unless I travel to god's country to snowboard and such. When I do that I get an Edge signal on my 3G whereas friends of mine with Sprint are usually getting charge $2 for roaming and Verizon simply has no service. I cannot complain. @OP really all that you can do is call and complain I suppose. If you can, get others in your area that you know would like AT&T service. If they get enough calls it's possible they may do something... Good Luck!

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I hear if you roam too much, AT&T will catch onto this and will politely cancel your contract with them. Which may be a good thing, but wouldn't they make you give the iPhone back?

10. MacJohnson thread starter macrumors regular

MacJohnson

well who wants to hook me up with an unlocked iphone and ill put it on my verizon plan????

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

IT. CAN'T. BE. DONE.

At all.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the iPhone isn't compatible with Verizon service. Two completely different cellular technologies.

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Not if you have had the iPhone for more than 30 days... Yeah it's a good thing that AT&T does not charge you for roaming and it's perfectly okay for them to say we cannot provide service for you.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So basically, they will let you out of your AT&T contract, leaving you an unlocked iPhone 3G? That's fantastic. You can then sell it one ebay for $800!

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Once you get past the 30 days you keep the iPhone 3G from what I understand, but don't forget that little ETF. Of course one can make a profit on the resale of the iPhone 3G, hence the high numbers of brand new iPhone 3G's on Ebay and such.