AT&T Shared data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phr0ze, Oct 6, 2012.

1. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Thinking of moving to the shared plan. I have 2 friends who are paying as single on a carrier but want iphone and better service. I think I can add the two friends and my 3 family phones over to a shared 10GB plan and end up saving me a little money. It would cost me $30 to add each, but I can charge them $60.

Too much hassle? I hate my high phone bill. Anyone thought of this/tried this?

2. cutienoua macrumors member

not a good idea!
    OK for family but def. not for friends!

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I really hope they are the very best of friends that have a job. What if they tell you they cannot pay up this or that month ? Family maybe, friends, no

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm in a family plan with 2 of my closest friends, and one of their mothers. Haven't ever had a problem. We all just go online at att.com and pay our portion of the bill directly. Comes out to $30 for a dumb phone and $51 for a smartphone with 3Gb or unlimited data.

Saves a ton of money. I've even been bugging another friend to take the 5th line and decrease each price by another $6-7.

But yeah as the others here said. Make sure that you trust them to be responsible every month.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

remember, if the others do not pay - TOUGH LUCK. You are the ONLY person responsible.

I had a brother on my plan. He kept running up extra charges and did not pay. Cut him off.

6. phr0ze thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was thinking of asking for a 150 security deposit. If they dont pay the $60, I have a little cushion. If they dissapear, I find someone who wants the line, go to att and move it to a new sim.

The people loose their number and the $150. Worse case is i pay to cancel the line and im out another $150.

There are risks.. you all are right. But I think it may work.

7. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I could live with the not paying part since I could just suspend them, but I would be worried about them using over their share of data then you can get crazy overages.

8. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

The fact that this is even a possibility tells me this is a terrible idea.

Have you really thought this through, how much you'll be on the hook for, your credit rating, etc...