AT&T sim card from old phone to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dstar, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dstar macrumors regular

I think this should just work but want to verify. I have an iPhone 3GS.
    My wife has some type of slider phone from AT&T that we bought about a year ago.

She dropped it and broke the screen. I'm thinking of upgrading my line to the iPhone 4 and just giving her the 3GS. I can't test this right now since I'm working and can pickup an iPhone 4 before i head home tonight. Can i just take her SIM and pop it into the 3GS and have a working phone for her?

Also, i think i pay $20 a month for unlimited Internet service on her phone, will all of that work on the 3GS? Or will i need to make account adjustments?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You should be able to pop the old sim into 3GS just fine. ATT will find out your wife has switch to 3GS and will change will upgrade her data plan to the $30 unlimited iPhone plan.

3. dstar thread starter macrumors regular

Great! I guess I could always downgrade her internet service to one of the new cheaper plans if she isn't very active with it.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unless she's already on a smartphone unlimited data plan, it is unlikely she'd be grandfathered to an iphone unlimited data plan. Unless AT&T's changed something her choices will likely just be the 200M or 2G dataplans. Moving the SIM will work otherwise though. (I moved a SIM from my wife's non-smartphone to a 3GS I'd bought on Craigslist and just had to call AT&T to set up the dataplan.)