AT&T SIM or AT&T Network Necessary for JB/Unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dlhuss, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dlhuss macrumors member

Hi All.

I searched all over and couldn't find the answer. I had a 16GB 3GS with 3.1.2, 5.11.07 modem firmware and latest iboot (tethered jailbreak, also registered on saurik's server). I sold the iphone after a restore to stock 3.1.2 on ebay to a guy a month ago. Now he opened a conflict with paypal - he can't jb/unlock. I'm trying to help him out.

He's outside the country and I didn't give him my AT&T sim card. My questions:

1) Do you need an AT&T sim card to jb/unlock an AT&T phone?
    2) Do you have to be on AT&T's network?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I had successfully used blackra1n/blacksn0w previously to get a tethered jailbreak/unlock and i'm aware of the 3.1.3 apple firmware, if that's what you're thinking. :)

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You already know the answers to these questions because you claim you jailbroke and unlocked it yourself.

A 3GS on firmware 3.1.2 can be JB with Pwnage Tool, Redsn0w or Blackra1n.
    It can be unlocked with Ultrasn0w or Blacksn0w depending on the baseband.

No AT&T account or sim is needed.

3. dlhuss thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

BTW, I didn't know the answers because I had my AT&T SIM in the US and activated and used the phone on AT&T before JB/Unlocking it, and I had read on iClarified that:

"The BlackRa1n jailbreak will work with the latest 3.1.2 firmware; however, it will not hacktivate your iPhone. This means that if you are not on an official Apple approved carrier BlackRa1n cannot activate it."

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5527

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As far as I know, Blackra1n RC3 does hacktivate an iPhone. Otherwise none of the thousands of persons who has JB with Blackra1n then unlocked with Blacksn0w could use their phone.