AT&T Space Gray Rarity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nsdjoe, Sep 29, 2014.

1. nsdjoe, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

nsdjoe macrumors member

I've been watching the online store restock every night and have noticed that while gold and silver restock regularly, there is a continuous lack of space gray AT&T phones. This is particularly true with the 6+, but for a few days now even the regular space gray 6 has been out of stock in Chicagoland.

Is there any explanation for this other than an incorrect estimate of demand on Apple's part or perhaps an unlikely manufacturing problem with just the space gray model?

Just venting my frustrations trying to buy this phone.

Edit: Visual aid: [​IMG]

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Seems like Space Grey is the color to get this year.

3. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Ill give you my space gray 6+ for a gold one :) GOLD is gone everywhere here.

4. buckeyeboy30 macrumors newbie

How did you find that listing? Is that something you made? I got the silver but I want the space gray also.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I think the models with black front fascia are likely the top sellers every year. It's just that Gold had very limited supply last year hence the shortages.

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

It seems like Gold 16GB Sprint are the phones they are passing out like advertisement cards on every corner.

6+ Space Grey AT&T is the rare one (lucky for me, I got one).

7. themyst macrumors 6502

Yes, what is the link to that page? I can check availability through the iPhone apple store app, but I can't find a webpage for this. It would help immensely.

8. Calismic macrumors member

Its funny considering I pre-ordered a 6+ Gold 64G and was sent a Space Grey in the mail instead. I'm keeping it though, don't want to wait on a replacement. =P

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I talked with the Manager at my local Verizon store. I asked him if he could give me an idea of what the trend was and he said Space Gray was by far the most popular with Silver/White in second, and Champagne/White in third. He said if I wanted a Gold one I'd probably have it in the mail by the next day! I almost folded but I think the gold iPhone 6 looks even worse than the Gold iPhone 5S...I don't know why but it just does. Side note: If you spring for the 128GB model you can avoid allot of the stock issues.

Its so strange to me that Space Gray is more popular, since the iPhone 5 I was worried that Black iPhones might have become a thing of the past! iPhone 5/5s clearly showed the lust for the white models....I wonder whats driving everyones change of heart?

10. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I would do this in a heartbeat. I'm trying to upgrade from the 6 to the 6+ but all they have is gold where I am. They do have Verizon ones but I highly doubt they'd let me swap for that, despite the phones being unlocked.

3 days left. :(

11. nsdjoe thread starter macrumors member

istocknow.com/us

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Space Grey is harder to find because it is the professional model.:p

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the grey color minimizes those hideous antennae bands the most.

14. Fayt349 macrumors newbie

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm sure its subjective for each carrier but WOW Verizon and T-Mobile are cleaned out compared to the others!

----------

QFT! Haha yeah it looks much more professional. I have a grey suit and I can't wait to see how well it matches :D White looks terrible for a professional looking user...I don't know what it is but yeah...

Definitely...the white bands look bad enough on the silver but on the gold its hideous, I was looking at the 6+ in Gold and it was so ugly! Glad I went with Space Gray iPhone 6 in 64GB even though the wait is nearly a month :eek::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

16. CoffeeLover87 macrumors newbie

This doesn't surprise me that the space grey is rare this year. Every time I am out when I see someone with a 6 it's always gold or silver. I have yet to see another 6+ out in the public. One launch day I got my 6+ space grey only cause I was the first in line. The guy that was 3rd in line wanted a space grey plus but he had to settle for a silver one.

17. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Last year's Gold was nice it was more champagne like. This year's is just tacky.

18. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Glad I got my Space Gray launch day from Apple

IMO, the gold 6+ is hideous but the gold 6 is actually really nice.

19. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

When we went and got our 64gb Space Grey 6's the day after launch, it's the only option that the AT&T store had.

20. Tzuten macrumors 6502

What site is this that you are using to check stock?

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Our local target has PLENTY of space grey iPhone 6's. Our local Apple store has none. Go figure.

(You can check stock at Target online before going to the store)

22. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

This unicorn you speak of. Its hard to get. I have a unicorn.

23. blackhawk526, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

The real Unicorn is the 6+ Space Grey in 64/128 Gb. I've found 16Gbs at a few local Targets.

I'm with you OP, this is the worst shortage I've seen from Apple. Hopefully it changes soon.

24. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Wow, I have had a white 4, 4s, 5, (Gold) 5s and usually get white every year but I just really liked black this year, guess just looks more premium and not cheesy as gold. white and silver looks ok, but i didn't like that one either.

25. Rudy78 macrumors newbie

Last week So Cal got it's share of the SG Att 64gb and 128gb at the Apple stores. I was able to grab 2 for me 128gb for store pick up. My friend at the Apple store said that they are very rare. It was the least produced out of all 3 colors. Gold was the most produced