*#@!% AT&T speaker interference!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majordude, Sep 19, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

What the hell?

I've used T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint. But only AT&T makes buzzing noises on my speakers at home and and work. And it's not just me, my friends (without iPhones) say the same thing.

Since I have an iPhone, I have to use it near my computer (to sync it)! I think I need a 10' sync cable to keep it away from my Bose speakers otherwise it sounds like a redneck with an amped up 1978 Cobra CB radio is sitting in my driveway chatting up the "eager beavers" and warning the "gypsies" about the "rolling bears".

Grrrr!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Every phone can cause this interference. I've heard it CDMA phones, iDEN phones, and all GSM phones. They each produce a different tone but it's part of the fact of radio and poor shielding on cables. You could always try this tip: http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/36388

3. DarkMCS macrumors newbie

On many different providers, I've heard the "speaker buzz"... It has nothing to do with AT&T... :(

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I get it in the car as well. I've just decided to keep my iPhone away from the speakers...

5. trunksu macrumors 6502

one of the best features of 3g is not hearing that sound when your phone is near speakers ^^

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No, it occurs. Any great burst of radio signal such as that of a cell phone will cause interference.

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm. I might try that suggestion.

(Personally, I find it amazing that the only time I ever go to Radio Shack I spend $10 or less. How do they stay in business?! :eek: )

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I had VZW for 12 years and never heard it.

I hear it with the iphone and any other GSM phones.

9. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I have a T-Mobile phone and it doesn't cause interference. And it isn't the iPhone, it's AT&T.

:rolleyes:

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bought a new set of speakers (Altec Lansing T612) specifically to avoid this. This was horrid on my IM3s that I had. According to reports prior to launch of the new 3G I heard that the new phone offered some sort of buffer that reduced the transmission of radio signal that would cause such interference. This is why I thought to upgrade right away and sell the speakers to recoup as much of my $200 as possible. Glad I didn't now.

It is bad and has been. Not too bad in my car tbh, not like it was in my office.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Shrug... I have an iPhone (EDGE) on T-Mobile and it does cause the interference. And so did my Blackberry on T-Mobile. I don't remember it being as big a deal with my RAZR, though... there might be some influence of phone design.

12. pintnight macrumors 6502

All the cell phones does that. The Motorola Razor I used to use does that. And it's not AT&T that's doing that.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In my experience, virtually all cell phones will do this, especially GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile in the US).
    The interference is significantly diminished when the phone is on GSM 3G compared to GPRS/EDGE.

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

you'll get used to it. I've been with AT&T for 9 years, and its been like that on all of my cell phones. Keep your phone away from speakers and if you have a nice car you dont have to worry about the noise, the speakers are shielded really well.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Not to be blunt, but you're full of ****. It's GSM. It's going to cause interference. You may just notice it more with the iPhone because it wants more power from one ATT tower than T-Mobile has in their entire network.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So your one phone speaks for all T-Mobile phones? Every single phone that uses a cell network causes that feedback. My dad is on verizon, his phone does it; I'm on AT&T, my phone does it; my mom and sister are on T-Mobile and guess what their phones do. Go ahead, guess.

17. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

My RAZR on T-Mobile does NOT create interference on my speakers. The iPhone does. I can rest the RAZR on the speaker wire :eek: and I don't hear it. I have the iPhone 4' away and it still buzzes the Boses. :mad:

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

That's because your RAZR doesn't send or receive even a fraction of the transmissions your iPhone does. If it bothers you so much put your phone in Airplane mode when you're listening to your Bose, then your phone won't send for or receive data, and therein won't interrupt your listening.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well no duh. Your phone isn't sending or receiving data at the time. The iPhone is constantly using the data connection. Your Razr is not. Come on. Seriously, use your head.

20. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Unfortunately I have to plug my iPhone into my computer to sync data and charge the phone. Unfortunately, I have to have speakers attached to my computer else I can't hear a damn thing. See my predicament?

I went to Radio Shack a bit ago looking for some of those ferrite filters. They didn't have them in stock. As a matter of fact, the kid didn't even know what the hell I was asking for until I had him go to their website.

"Radio Shack, you have questions, we have blank stares." :eek:

The best thing is that, on my way out of the door, he asked me if I wanted a "free" cellphone. :D

Attached Files:

• rs.jpg
      rs.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  21. reliantj macrumors 6502

are they all closing and liquidating?
    goddamn if they are i'm gonna
    go to one tomorrow.

22. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Check the copyright date - 2006.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i LOL'd hard. So true... so true. yet it could be the slogan for the vast majority of tech stores. Its sad when people qualified and knowledgeable dont get the jobs they are suited for and morons are selling computers to other morons.

on that note, still 17 and jobless

ill never afford a newly revised macbook:(

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. The iPhone uses an INSANE amount of data - the RAZR uses little to none.

25. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

It ain't AT&T, because the same thing happens up here in the Great White North on Rogers. And I don't think it's the speaker wiring, I think the cell waves are acting on the speaker amplifiers directly. The cheaper the speaker, the worse it is. My Bose 2.1's hardly have it at all, but the cheap speakers on my computer at work buzz like crazy. Airplane Mode is the only real solution.