AT&T, Sprint or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wateron, Oct 5, 2011.

1. wateron macrumors regular

Getting a new 4S for my wife (our first iphone) now. Want to wait till next year to get my iphone as I want the LTE version. Want them both on the same provider for the family plan. Which provider should I get my wife's phone on? Will all 3 providers have LTE service next year?

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Sprint uses WiMax, I doubt it'll even consider going LTE for a looong time if ever. AT&T's only barely started rolling out LTE and is available in four cities as of now. Verizon's well ahead with LTE service in over 140 cities. For the current 4S here are your choices: Sprint (most affordable, unlimited data), Verizon (best coverage, AT&T (fastest data speeds available for 3G, by far).

3. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Sprint is having their "Strategy Update" on Friday, likely to be in regards to LTE coming next year, I'm sure they'll fit the iPhone in there somewhere too.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You may be waiting a while...

5. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but hoping for October 2012

6. NoHo macrumors 6502

Sprint offers unlimited data, which trust me, you're going to want eventually when new apps that take up bandwidth come out, and Verizon seems to be everyone's favorite, but you can't get unlimited data there. AT&T people seem to complain about, but it's the only network where you can use the internet, send email, texts and and talk on the phone at the same time, but they don't have unlimited data.

I'm sticking with AT&T (my contract ran out in July) when I upgrade to the 4S just because I already have an unlimited data plan and can keep it and AT&T let's me play on the net while talking on the phone, which I always do.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There's a reason Sprint hasn't pulled a dime in a dozen or so quarters. Just remember that.

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I'm staying on my AT&T unlimited data plan that I've had grandfathered from 2 years ago. But i've noticed that recently I've only gone a little over 1GB a month. That might change though with the 4S having faster data speeds. But I'll definitely be staying on my AT&T plan.

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Sprint will have the cheapest plan. $69.99. Decent service. Verizon will have the most expensive plan. Best service. And AT&T is in the middle in pricing. They have mixed reviews, and the fastest 3G network. Sprint is the only data unlimited. AT&T lets you talk & surf, same time. Verizon just has more bars in more places. Their 3G is decent to say the least.

I'm on AT&T. I also do believe HSPA+ is only on GSM? Not sure. It's like having 3G+ - on AT&T.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

My iPhone 4 pulls of 4-5 MB per second on downloading with 4-5 bars.

According to apple, data speeds will double and A5 Chip will help iPhone 4S to load pages faster.

Back in 3G to 3GS, the difference was huge. 3GS was really two times faster than 3G.

I am not interested in Verizon's CDMA network. So, that leaves me just AT&T because Sprint service is not good here.

11. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

What good is a "world Phone" if you are on Sprint or Verizon. Won't a iphone on the Sprint or Verizon network only work in the US?

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The 4S supports both GSM and CDMA. A Sprint of Verizon iP 4S will work on GSM overseas and CDMA in the US, while the original iPhone 4 will not run on GSM networks at all.

14. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Where did this information came from? I been trying to find out the sprint plans?

15. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

I am not clear on how these providers work. If I have a iphone on Sprint or
    Verizon's network (CDMA) & go overseas then the GSM chip will handle my calls even though my provider is a CDMA network?

16. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

What? Check out Sprint.com. $69.99 450 landline and unlimited text, data, & mobile. Actually add the $10 data fee Sprint charges now. $79.99.

----------

You have to activate that SIM card to use it overseas. This is how the BB Bold on Sprint works. Calling Sprint and letting them know before hand.

17. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Wow. Alot of you guys here know NOTHING. Sprint is transitioning over to LTE FROM WiMax. They've already signed a 15 year deal with Lightsquared. And, ALL GSM PHONES ARE TECHNICALLY WORLD PHONES. GSM is EVERYWHERE. Just pop in a local SIM and go. While CDMA is not. The iPhone 4s is a WORLD PHONE because it has a GSM AND CDMA radio inside. Your iPhone 4s from Verizon or Sprint will work anywhere, provided you get a SIM for whatever country you're in. And most people dont travel the world where they need this anyway.

I doubt Apple would sign Sprint on as a carrier if they didnt plan on getting LTE. Whatever iteration of the next iPhone that comes out will have it for sure. It'll be LTE only, and work on all 3(applies to overseas as well, obviously). Even then, all 3 carriers LTE networks operate on different frequencies, so it'll all be seperate as usual anyways.

18. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

And apparently some assume to know it all. You're wrong to guess that an iPhone from Sprint or Verizon will work with any GSM carrier. I'm confident that the iPhone 4S will be locked when purchased on a contract, just as the past iterations have been. Even the Gevey SIM doesn't work on iOS 5 with the newer baseband, one that all the new phones will ship with.

19. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

If the phone is locked to Verizon or Sprint I don't see how you can pop in a SIM in Europe & have the phone work on a different network

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

I would get the one that has the best service at home. I know many who don't consider this and then feel horrible later. You spend most of your time at home - at least sleeping wise and weekend wise so it makes sense to consider this. For me, VZW was the only one that works (not 5 bars but it works...).

21. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The only 4S US carrier with "4G" service is ATT with HSPA+. This HSPA+ data service will be 3+ times faster than VZ's or Sprint for the 4S ip. The only fly in the ointment is AT&T's somewhat sketchy coverage. YMMV on that one.

JohnG

22. something3153 macrumors 6502

The problem for me is I spend a lot of time calling conference lines for work. Enough that I'd need their unlimited plan... and then they're as expensive as Verizon or AT&T. No point.

23. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The iPhone doesn't support HSPA+. It only supports HSDPA with 14.2MBPS speeds. Still far faster than the 3.2 limit on Sprint and Verizon's 3G speeds. HSPA+ supports speeds up to 42MBPS with AT&T's version capable of 21.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have the locked version, you'll be roaming. However, we don't have all the details about how that's going to work.

25. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would see which one works best in your area. The reason I didn't get an iPhone when it first came out was that AT&T sucks in my area. I would rather mail someone a letter before using an AT&T phone.