AT&T & SSNs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jul 8, 2008.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

Why is it, exactly, that AT&T needs social security numbers? I guess I don't really have a problem with it, but my dad seems to be a little up in arms over it because I have to give AT&T his SSN and some other info because I'm porting my number from Alltel and he is the account holder and I guess they never asked for his since he's been with them (I'm creating my own account at AT&T).

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i don't see how they never asked for it. your credit background is linked to your SSN.

3. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Who's name is the Alltel account in? Are you porting to his account or your own.. you OP is a little unclear.

4. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

I am porting my number from Alltel, where my dad is the account holder, to a new AT&T account that I will be creating and will be the main account holder.

5. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

That's why they need the SSN. In order to do a port AT&T needs to input Original Service Provider Information. Basically, they need to input the number being ported, Alltel account number, the name, address, and the SSN (at least the last 4) that the original provider has on file to access the information in Alltel's system (for verification purposes).

It's an industry standard and the same thing would have to happen if you were going the other way.