AT&T Starts their Battle against Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boulderer2001, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Boulderer2001 macrumors member

Got an e-mail on my Iphone from AT&T talking about how I could read this e-mail and make a call. With the Verizon launch under two weeks away. What else is AT&T going to do to keep customers. Bring back unlimited data, new rate plans?

2. Rodvette macrumors regular

you can do both, as long as you don't drop the call while surfing..:D

zing!

My friend has an iphone on ATT, I feel sorry for him because by default his gets blamed for a dropped call if he is ever talking to one of the people in our groups of friends ( The majority of us have Verizon as our carriers with a few exceptions ^_^ )

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I like how whenever they talk about it they conveniently leave out that you must be on 3G for the feature. It wasn't very useful to me when I fell to Edge everytime I needed to use it.

4. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Can't imagine going back to a network that cannot handle a call and an internet connection at the same time. People are going to complaaaain. Be careful what you wish for Verizon.

5. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got the same email. Big battle up ahead!

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Agreed, but do you blame them? They've been living high on the hog, riding the iPhone gravy train.

In SoCal, the iPhone is the ONLY reason I'm with AT&T. I will be gladly paying the ETF, just to get rid of their lousy service. I can honestly say I drop at least 1-2 calls a day. Even in my own house, sitting next to my MicroCell, calls are still dropped. :eek:

8. Rodvette macrumors regular

There is always going to be complaints, no way to please every single person buying a product :)

Although Verizon shouldn't get too many complaints as it has been stated publicly that you can't surf and talk at the same time and it has been on different articles all over the internet/newspaper so people should not be blind to it.

Hopefully the Iphone holds up to the reliability that Verizon is known for.

9. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I don't see why everyone on AT&T is so uptight. Ok, you can make a call and surf the web simultaneously. But you've gotta be able to make that call to begin with. :rolleyes: Looking forward to Verizon's network...hope it holds up!

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

And of anecdotal evidence, I've had both AT&T and Verizon over the past couple of years. Had waaaaay more dropped calls on Verizon than AT&T.......

(I should make clear that i do not and would not live in New York City or San Francisco.)

11. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

straight up bitches dude. AT&T has been feasting on the iphone for 3 years now, its about time verizon got a taste.

i care about simultaneous voice and data about as much as that homeless guy that tries to get my change when im downtown. as long as i get my hands on that gorgeous phone and sweet iOS i will be more than content with a network that will let me use the iphone as a PHONE

12. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I've been using Verizon & AT&T, they've both been excellent. The problem is many people do not understand how a cellular phone & network function. The cardinal rule is to choose a carrier with the best coverage in your area first, then choose the phone. In some major metro areas like mine both carriers we're discussing work well. Yet that's a rarity.

Apple deliberately limited the choice to AT&T only, yet everyone blames AT&T. That proves a lot of users have no clue what is happening. For those who had to have an iPhone in a weak AT&T area the carrier got blamed. During this entire time I've used a work issued AT&T BlackBerry and enjoyed crystal clear calls. No dropping problems at all.

As long as Apple is being praised all is well. The moment a problem arises, Apple points the finger at others, and Apple supporters get hostile and strike out in attack mode at anyone who fails to suck up to Apple. Very revealing.

13. jaw04005, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

They should start by bringing back their unlimited data plan for 3G and offering a decent tethering package instead of sending spam touting their "superior" network.

AT&T just launched 3G in my area (after it was delayed for years---they've been promising it since 2008). The max downstream I've been able to clock in is 1.5 Mbps. Most of the time my upload speed is higher than my download speeds. Pathetic.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

[​IMG]

I was amused.

But more in a "Oh, at&t, what won't you do next? :eek:" kind of way.

I mean, the fact that it's a bad example (I really could read the already-downloaded e-mail on a Verizon phone while on a call) is probably the least silly thing about it.

15. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

I absolutely agree 110%.

Everyone slams AT&T but I have had no issues with them in I think 5+ years as a customer of their's and who knows how many phones.

16. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I've been on Verizon and AT&T, they're both great networks in Boise. I have used Verizon longer however and have had very few problems. I currently use a Droid and I can tell you (and some may cry blasphemy) but "simultaneous voice and data is NOT a huge deal." People on Verizon who are going to the iPhone (such as myself) will not miss what we haven't already had. I just think it's blown out of proportion a bit, if you need it go with AT&T, pretty simple, but when I make a call, I'm on the call and can read emails that are in the inbox, I'm not receiving them at lightning speed every few seconds, those of you who do, go with AT&T. Pretty simple. Trying to talk to someone while they're surfing the web is hard enough as it is anyways. Just my 2 cents. Go with what works for you.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I hate this advice. (And I hear it a lot around here.)

I bought an iPhone in the summer of 2008. Service was pretty good that year. All during 2009 it got worse and worse to the point where I was dropping 2 calls per day by the end of the year.

Then, in 2010, things got better. They (slightly) improved to the point where the phone wasn't too bad up to the late spring when I bought a new iPhone. The rest of the summer was pretty good, fall started to suck again, and I've been pretty happy since Christmas.

So I find the advice (choose a carrier first!) laughable. Exactly which time should I be judging by? When I bought the first phone? Great...and once I'm in a 2-year contract and it all goes to hell...? Then what? That's MY fault because I didn't choose the right carrier because I couldn't predict the future?

Sure, blame the victim.

Screw that. When at&t is dropping 2 calls a day I'm gonna complain about them. They're the ones with the 2-year contract so, no, I won't just sit here and say 'well, it's my fault for picking the wrong carrier!'

18. Rodvette macrumors regular

Even though we rag on him about ATT I do still understand in other areas in the US ATT provides better or equal service then Verizon

on a final note, we live in good ol' San Francisco, enough said :)

19. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

No. You prefer a network that just can't handle a call. Makes sense.

20. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

+1

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I got the same e-mail as well. Definitely old news, but I guess it's one thing they hold over Verizon.

I'm waiting for the e-mail that will tell me they are lowering my bill or turning my phone into a hot spot. Then I will be impressed.

As for service, I can't complain about the service here in Houston. I had Verizon before switching over in 2007 to get the iPhone, and to me, at least, the service is equal. Although, I can't speak about up and download speeds because I didn't use data back then as much as I do now.

And that voice/data is a big thing for those of us that use it. I can't imagine not being able to do it, but it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker. But it is something I considered when deciding if I would switch to Verizon when the time came. But when all is said and done, I'm sticking with AT&T.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

See that is not something you can blame the users as much for but I have read and know multiple people who choose AT&T knowing that the service was going to be crap were they lived and work just for the iPhone. Those people I have ZERO, sorry less than Zero sympothy for because they choose a phone over a carrier.
    The only time a phone should make you go one way or the other is if the service and everything else carrier wise works out good for you.

But first thing first is always choose the carrier you think that will be best for you.

23. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

I hope that everyone realizes that I'm being facetious. I really could not care less about what carrier someone chooses. I think it's insane that anybody would.

That being said, I sure do know as a Texas native that AT&T does work fine there. The problem is, when I moved to SoCal it was an abomination and mandated a switch.

Anyhow, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones was the main thrust of my comment up there.

24. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

This is by far the best post I have seen on MR. And it's good that you have such high credibility because people would disregard this from anyone else. I have had the same experience with AT&T. When I got my iPhone 3G, everything was fine and rosy. The 3GS came out and things got pretty bad. Last year, the service has gotten so bad with so many dropped calls that even my father (salesmen) who owns a blackberry stated that AT&T's service is going downhill.

25. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Att handles calls just fine for me?

It's not the voice and data thing that would stop me from verizon, it's how slow they are. I want to be able to surf fast. In my area Att is just fine, and they are rolling out more 3G/4g all the time. In time, not only will they have as much coverage as verizon, but they will be quicker too.