AT&T Store COULD NOT Activate new iPhone 3G... Sent home to activate!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ManWithoutPlan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ManWithoutPlan macrumors newbie

OK... so I was the first in line at the ATT store... they unboxed my 16g white iPhone... went through the steps and it was taking forever to "unbrick" (activate) my phone. After about 20 mins the manager came over and said he just received email about "technical problems" and it said to send customers home with iPhone 3G to activate! ... Well.. im home.... trying to activate... and it is having the same problems! Stuck on "ACCESSING iTUNES STORE".... :mad: GREAT! Now I'm stuck without a phone for God knows how long!

UPDATE: 9:32AM Just got an error (-4).... retried... now it says: "iPhone Activations Are UNAVAILABLE At This Time"!!!!!! This is horrible.... Way to go APPLE!

UPDATE 2: 9:53AM Tried again... finally got to "Let's Get Started"... Now Restoring from previous backup... keeping my fingers crossed!

FINAL UPDATE!!!! It finally works! 2 HRS after this whole process started! BS... just utter BS! LOL At least I have a WORKING 3G iPhone now... hopefully it wont have a lot of kinks... Best of luck guys!

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I was in line for 4 hours and had the same happen to me.

I am currently trying with my Verizon air card.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your username is... intriguingly appropriate.

Did they make you sign up for the plan at the store? Or are you truly without a plan? If they sent you home without a plan, you, my friend, have an untraceable iPhone. Unlock that puppy.

4. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem. ATT told me to go home to unbrick and finish activation, however, it's saying "Accessing iTunes Store" and won't load the page.

I've waited this long to get the phone, finally did, and it isn't letting me activate.

Anyone know a work-around, or troubleshooting tips? I've called ATT and they aren't sure.

Please help!

-mark

5. stevehp macrumors 6502

Wow, talk about being in a good spot if you didn't sign a contract.

You iPhone is worth a pretty penny.

6. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

They make you sign the contract first. iTunes is the last thing they attempt to do.

7. Detlev macrumors 6502a

Apple Store in Natick, MA is now sending everybody home to activate.

8. boomtapp macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me...
    I was first in line...
    Sat for 20 minutes at the store with the "waiting for itunes" crap...
    then after I got the phone ready, it wont get service. Apparently, as of 8:45, only 1 phone has been successfully activated in Houston...

weak

9. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I was first out of the store at my local AT&T. 16GB White, can't use it! They sent us out without activation and iTunes keeps returning with an error... ugh!! This sounds like it is going to be a widespread problem, so I hope it gets attention quickly.

10. alexplank macrumors member

11. wadebarker macrumors newbie

Same here. Sitting in the parking lot of the AT&T store trying to activate on a Verizon aircard and keep getting error -9838 in iTunes. Considering going back in but it seems like this problem is happening nationwide.

12. boomtapp macrumors newbie

I've at least got mine at home where there is wireless internet so I can use it somewhat.. just not to make phone calls.

This is embarrassing for AT&T

13. alexplank macrumors member

no, the activation is the only thing that is failing on such a large scale. AT&T's system has been able to handle the load. Apparently Apple's servers were not plentiful enough to satisfy all the activation requests.

It's ironic that apple failed instead of AT&T.

14. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Now when I try to home activate i get error -9838

and I have apparently no signal on my old iPhone (I used to always have atleast two bars)

15. boomtapp macrumors newbie

what does going home to activate mean? I was told to go home and wait for the service to work. Am I supposed to do anything?

16. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

17. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

That's what I understand too.. AT&T did the majority of their stuff right. iTunes is the problem. AT&T is not without fault, because their employees seemed lost as to what to do, but the majority of the fault lies with Mr. Jobs and company.

18. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

Easier said than done. Sitting at my home iMac trying to activate at this moment. iTunes is hosed.

19. Murphy'sLaw macrumors member

I had the same problem as well, just keep trying to connect, I was able to get mine to sync about 5 mins ago

20. boomtapp macrumors newbie

No,
    I mean, Mine is synched and works fine. It's just that it says "no service" at the top. Once yours got synched, did the phone connection go through?

Thanks

21. kevin86 macrumors member

My store could not unbrick the phone and wouldn't let me take it home. How can I convince them that I can do it at home?

22. ManWithoutPlan thread starter macrumors newbie

KEvin: The manager should have gotten an email from ATT or APPLE... tell them to check it!

23. kevin86 macrumors member

Trying that now. I'll let you know.

24. abalboa3 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to chime in. Was about 7th in line this morning. They activated about 3 people until they started sending everyone home to finish activating on their own. Sitting here trying to get this done. Finally got passed the error message, and now stuck at accessing iTunes store.

25. svndmvn Guest

is it actually necessary to have an iTunes account in order to activate the iPhone or does it work like syncing iPods?is iTunes enough?