AT&T Store Rep.: Not going to sell for no-commitmet price on launch date

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westla7, Jun 12, 2010.

1. westla7 macrumors member

Stopped by the AT&T corporate store, asked if I'd be able to get/reserve iPhone 4 on 15th to pick up on 24th for no-commitment price (as I am not eligible yet). He said NO, because "first wave of customers" will only be on new 2 year contract. Suggested to add new line and get phone for it (and pay for it then); sounds stupid. But if it's the only way.. So, should I add new line, get phone, cancel line right away, pay ETF? Altogether it will be about the same price as for the no-commitment phone, so it doesn't really matter for me. But it's quite a headache, obviously only morons can force customers go this path...

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY AT&T REPS!

they cannot be trusted right now. just wait for official word as the preorders start.

3. citivolus macrumors 6502a

IIRC, if you cancel the new line within 30 days, you don't have to pay the ETF BUT you have to return the iphone, else AT&T will charge you for the phone and render it unusable by logging the serial number assuming it was lost/stolen. Therefore, you have to keep the phone for 31 days, then cancel the plan and pay the ETF but can keep the phone and it is still with a valid AT&T sim. Is that correct?

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Can you add a new line, transpose numbers, cancel your current line and be good?

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure you can do that but you will lose your Unlimited data plan if you go that way as it will not be available on the new line of service and just a reminder your new line will have the new $325 ETF terms.

Why might you consider this?

Dave

6. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

I learned the hard way not to trust att reps just wait and see.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Because I'm not even early upgrade eligible right now.

8. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

AT&T has to sell the device at no commit pricing. The policy is as long as you have an active line you can get it. Print out that PDF file from AT&T.com that shows the no Commit price. Take that with you and ask for the store manager.

And also ask for that managers AT&T Uid if he gives you any issues.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

This issue came up before on the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS concerning "No Commitment" pricing at launch. It has also been raised a number of times with other Smartphones and Blackberry devices. If you check, you will see that they did not even start offering a No Commitment price on the iPhone 3G until March 2009, well after the iPhone 3G Launch :eek:

What they can't do is offer me the No Commitment price but not offer it to you asl long as you meet all of the requirements for purchase. Please also note that all No Commitment iPhone purchases require a valid voice and data plan.

They would be happy to take your order for a direct fulfullment shipment. So see, they would be selling it to you...just not on Launch day, in-store.

Dave

10. westla7 thread starter macrumors member

There is nothing about iPhone 4. Only about 3G and 3GS. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/iphone-faq.jsp

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T reps just don't know what they're talking about. I'm not saying they don't mean well or that they're deliberately misleading you, just that they don't receive the training and information they would need to answer the kinds of questions people post about on this forum. You really just need to wait for the pre-order/release and read the actual contract terms and information on the website.

12. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You can only buy it for no commitment pricing only if you do not qualify for any upgrades. But, you do not have the option of choosing no commitment pricing for now.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

a no commitment phone is, what, $600 and $700?

a 2 year agreement on a second line is $10 a month for 2 years=$240
    a new iPhone w/2 year agreement is $200 or $300

so keep your extra line for 2 years then cancel it. ETF is up to $375 now, is it not? $240<$375

in the end, you pay $440 or $540, still less than no commitment pricing. Have them transfer your old number to the new phone, get an old ATT phone from a friend and ask them to activate the new line in that one (I'm sure they'll do it), and now your paying less than either of your other approaches were, and plus, for 2 years you've got an extra "emergency" line. If you call and complain enough, they'll probably even drop your monthly charge by $10, effectively making that extra line free

15. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I think the AT&T representative was telling him to cancel the old line!