AT&T store telling me I can only upgrade if I change my plan to next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasperk99, Sep 29, 2014.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

I have a business premium account, and the AT&T store is telling me I cannot upgrade at the store unless I change my account to the Next installment plan, Is this true? I have never heard of this before

2. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I have no direct knowledge but I thought you could purchase one at full price and stay on your current plan. You're not wanting a new contract or subsidy only to buy a phone.

3. shootermcgavin1 macrumors newbie

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I upgraded two separate accounts through Apple without any problem. Both kept the grandfathered unlimited data.

5. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

An independent Att store told me the same thing, and if I wanted to keep my regular account id have to go to a corporate store.

6. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

That's bs because I tried getting on next on my line that was approved for next and got screwed over and att did nothing to fix it.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Well obviously they are wrong. Most likely get commission when they convert customers to the new plan.

8. lcseds macrumors 6502a

AT&T does not want contract phones any longer. We had bought some iPhone 5's and of course they were subsidized by AT&T with a 2 year commitment with the Family Share program. Now if you want the two year contract, you pay the phones subsidized price and then you lose the Premier $25 per month discount. Therefor, you pay the entire price of the phone. With NEXT you keep the $25 per month discount and pay installments on the phone until the full price is paid (unlocked price).
    In the past AT&T split the cost of the phone with you with a 2 year contract. Now, no matter what, you pay the entire cost of the phone. Doing the math, the contract price comes out to be higher over a 2 year period. They have made NEXT the only way to go if you have the family share program.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Is the line that you're trying to upgrade ready to upgrade? If it's still in a 2-year contract that isn't over, if you switch to Next, they'll end the 2-year contract early for you, and let you upgrade now. (Or at least that's what they've done in the past...)

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

For you.

11. mantan macrumors 68000

They weren't 'splitting the cost' with you. They paid for the phone upfront, then got the money back over the course of the contract in the nebulous 'data fee'.

Now everything is clear and transparent.

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Under the Family Share plan, it's for everyone. That's why I said the Family Share plan in my post. Adding upgrade/activation fees plus 24 months of no discount is higher than the fee waived, 20 month installment of the NEXT plan. Simple math once everything is factored in.

13. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Actually, no, that's for the new Mobile Share Value plans and really, it's only for plans 10GB or higher. If you don't need unlimited minutes, don't need unlimited text, don't need tons of data or still have dumbphones on your account, the older grandfathered Family Share plans with 550 or 700 minutes are likely cheaper than the new plans after factoring in device subsidies.

14. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

or the Rep didnt know what he was talking about.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that too. :D
    So many reps just make things up as they go or even lie to get a sale or switch you to certain plans that they want them to push.

16. nflea7 macrumors newbie

I have a business account. I had heard before the 6 came out that if I wanted to go with the NEXT program I'd have to switch plans. I have grandfathered data so no way! I didn't pre order, I picked up my 6 in store on Friday the 26th at a Best Buy. I heard a bunch of false statements depending on the retail store I went to. The truth is NO you do not have to get a new plan or contract, you can keep your existing. For Target stores at least in new england you can't get NEXT because their software is not set up for it yet. Best Buy said I couldn't keep my current contract but gave it a shot anyway and it worked to the surprise of the clerk and his co workers. The ATT store said I can keep my existing contract but they would not have phones until November. Apple said I could keep my existing but wouldn't let me reserve a phone under the NEXT program. I'm not in the habit of trolling Apple stores for the chance the phone I want could be there so I skipped them. Best bet if you can wait, and want to keep your plan is order it online through ATT or Apple. If you want to pick up in store, go with Best Buy. They have their inventory checker online so you can have a good shot at getting the phone you want before you go in. good luck! Clerks will tell you whatever, its crazy!

17. bpeeps, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Family share plan isn't cheaper for many people, aka it's not for everyone. Contract still ends up being cheaper for me. Family share plan is for you.

Edit: I think I see what you're attempting to say, the people that have the family share plan already and are buying subsidized phones are overpaying. It doesn't necessarily always mean that plan is for them, it just means they could be paying a cheaper price. Blanket statements don't work for everyone.