AT&T Telling me Upgrade Swap is impossible...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geneticfusion, Jun 24, 2010.

1. geneticfusion macrumors member

I just got an iPhone 4 after waiting 10 hours in line...

I went into the Apple Store, bought the iPhone 4. We didn't activate it there, the box is still sealed and was never plugged into iTunes.

I called, one rep said that it's possible, but that I needed an IMEI number to put on the other line. She couldnt put a dummy IMEI, so I said I'd call back.

So i got my moms fiancee's phone, grabbed the IMEI number, and called back and got someone different. She then proceeded to tell me Apple activated the SIM card on the account and if she changed it, it would be deactivated. I told her other reps told me the information is parked and not activated, since the phone was never plugged into iTunes and the phone was never opened.

She said it doesn't matter. Is this true? Can Apple activate the phones without plugging them into iTunes? I'm currently on hold with a Supervisor.

2. katiesham macrumors member

I think so, yes?

Today when I bought mine he asked what number it was replacing and before I went to the little "transfer your contacts" table my 3GS was dead and I hadn't even taken the 4 out of the box.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you used someone else's upgrade eligibility, I was under the impression that when you got the phone it would have to be activated under the phone number you used for the upgrade, then once it been activated, you just swap sim cards.

since the iPhone 4 uses micro-sim cards, you will need to go into an AT&T store to have them issue both phones new sim cards.

4. lilchub101 macrumors member

I did this with twice today

So my brother and I upgraded two different none iphone lines on our account and they where activated in the apple store. Then we went to the att store with 4iphones in hand and two other none iphones the rep was very nice and was happy to help. I KNOW I WAS SHOCKED TO! After about 15 min and 4 news sims we had the new phones on our old iphone lines and the newly upgraded lines back to normal and data plans canceled your best bet is to go to an att store