AT&T tethering letter... How to respond?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whyrichard, Oct 24, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I have been an iPhone user since day 1... Complete with the grandfathered unlimited plan.

There is no shortage of disdain for how at&t is treating unlimited plan users... Even those who use miwi jail broken to tether on occasion.

I got a letter in the mail saying that they will change my contract unless I stop using miwi and call them or something to that effect.

This has happened to a never of users... How do you suggest I respond?

This thread is an example of what I am talking about....

http://stopthecap.com/2011/06/07/att-will-start-auto-enrolling-unauthorized-tetherers-in-45-tether-plan-june-10th/

Advice?

Thanks.

r

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I got this letter even though I don't tether.

That said, if you are tethering, don't do again this billing cycle.

If you're not tethering, then I don't know what to say.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would call them.
    If you dont call they will change you to a tiered data plan automaticly.
    So I'd tell them its going to stop and be very carefull.
    Next time they catch you they will probably remove your unlimited data plan.
    Not much you can do but stop tethering or switch to a plan that you can tether with.
    Up to you.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I am not asking for advice from people who are not critical of at&t's pricing structure... It seems that they are on shaky legal ground as my original contract may not have even mentioned tethering as a no no. (how do I dig up my contract?).

Do people in this case submit and stop tethering? Do people stand their ground and insist it is against the law to change a contract without consent (as the link I gave discusses)? This month I have used only a little over a gig of data. Supposedly they are telling people that Bluetooth music streaming constitutes tethering. This seems like a company trying to squeeze their Costomer because they don't like the contract they signed with them 5 years ago...

R

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Legally you have no leg to stand on.
    Up to you what you want to do but even if you try to argue with them or stand your ground as you said it wont get you any different results.
    Sucks but that's that.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If your contract doesn't say anything about not tethering, then you have something to fight with.

But if you're asking how to get a copy of the contract that you agreed to, it sounds like you're not actually sure what it says.

I guess if I were you, I'd find the contract, see what it says, and then decide if you want to try and fight it.

BTW, all of the wireless contracts I've seen over the years allows them to change the terms at any time. They just have to let you out of it, without penalty, if you don't like the change.

8. Dukat macrumors regular

My friend was tethering. ATT automatically signed him up for a tethering plan, no questions asked.

9. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

Call them and ask them what tethering is... Play stupid tell them you have never tethered. Say I think my phone might be jailbroken and you watch videos online. Once they note it in your account you should be good.. Playing stupid works best.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Verizon got dinged for it. Not sure of all the circumstances though.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

11. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

So you only want advice from people who will tell you what you want to hear? Nice.

Exactly. But since you said you're on a grandfathered unlimited plan, I'm guessing that plan has long since expired and that you're essentially on a month-to-month contract now, meaning the Terms & Conditions associated with your account are whatever is current. See below:

Source: http://www.att.com/shop/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&

12. JrFreak macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

Stop doing it and they won't change your plan.

13. scaredpoet, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So basically, you're only entertaining responses from people who are telling you to stick it to the Man, maaaaaan?

Well sorry, that's not a useful response. What IS useful is this: they caught you doing something your agreement tells you you can't do without the right plan. Either stop doing it, or AT&T puts you on a sharing plan. End of story. That's all you can do.

That doesn't mean I agree with AT&T's policy on this. It just is what it is.

I've had AT&T service with unlimited data, been a customer since 2007, and the contract has always had language similar to the following:

"A data plan designated for one type of device may not be used with another type of device. For example, a data plan designated for use with a basic phone or a Smartphone may not be used with a LaptopConnect card, tablet, or stand-alone Mobile Hotspot device, by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer, or any other means. "

Later, when tethering plans came out, they added the following:

"A data tethering plan, however, may be purchased for an additional fee to enable tethering on a compatible device. "

Th difference between that old contract and the current one is that AT&T didn't offer you the ability to tether at all. Now they do, but you have to pay for it.

In any case, your original contract no longer applies. When AT&T changes terms, your continued use of the service means you've accepted those terms. That means that this contract is the valid one.

Yep.

Not only are you getting free legal advice from a non-lawyer off the internet, you're misinterpreting that advice. It's pretty clear from the stopthecap link that you need to call AT&T if you want to keep your unlimited data plan. It's also pretty clear that this doesn't mean you can keep your unlimited data plan AND keep tethering.

Either you keep the unlimited data and stop tethering, or tether and get put on a data plan. You can't have both.

It's been well over a year since AT&T starting doing this. If what they were doing were illegal, I'm pretty sure a class action suit would've been launched by now, or a few Attorneys General would've gotten involved.

14. swains.mate macrumors newbie

My friend "claims" his unlimited data was dropped and tethering was added from hooking up to his pc to tether a single time. Whether or not that's true I don't know.

I would just stop doing it (obviously, duh..) and call them? I mean you got the letter, do what it says? What other option is there.,..hire a lawyer?