Carrier AT&T Tethering Text and I don't tether!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PCtoMAC1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

What in the hell is going on? Today I received a text from AT&T informing me that it's against policy to use my phone as a tethering device. I have unlimited data and use my phone to listen to music via LTE, occasionally watch a tv show and "usual" web surfing.

The morons at AT&T told me that my device has handed off my IP address and that's why I got the text. I don't tether, my device isn't jail broken, etc.

Thoughts?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Did you plug it into your Mac to charge and it used your iPhone as a hotspot? Do you have an iPad and tapped the iPhone hotspot in the wifi settings by accident?

Do you have kids that have activated the hotspot whilst out on there iPod or iPad?

3. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I heard some people get it when they use VPN a lot. Also some browsers, not safari, can act as a computer browsers.
    Give them a call , ask them to open a ticket and give you official explanations. You don't like the answer open complain with FCC for discrimination.
    This is a real issue. I'm in between t-mo grandfather unlimited plan and att grandfather plan now. I don't like att behavior now.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've heard of these accusations being falsely levied before. Don't lie down and take it, especially if you're innocent and the burden of proof is on them. Sure this was just a warning, but you don't want to give them any reason to cancel your unlimited data.

BTW, did you create this exact thread 3 times?

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Its this kind of attitude and language "calling them morons" that causes mature adults to look at Apple Enthusiasts with a jaundiced eye.

Perhaps you're perfect but most people aren't. There could be a simple error or glitch that triggered this situation. But you've decided to jump to conclusion and act like an expert labeling them morons.

The reality is you may have overlooked just how bad this makes you look. Children get highly upset when they don't get their way. Your post sounds like a child wrote it.

6. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Thanks folks.

The only reason I've hooked my iPhone up to my Mac is to update iOS. Tethering isn't enabled on my account (it cannot be since I have unlimited data). I've never gotten a pop-up asking if I would like to use my phone as a tethering device either. I also don't use VPN.

I'll give them a call back and ask for them to look into it more.

As for ME jumping off the deep end: AT&T is the carrier assuming that I'm cheating them. Me calling them morons is warranted. I pay them for a service that I'm not abusing. Sounds like someone is grumpy because of one of their personal faults.

7. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Question:' does using Apple Pay cause you to share your phone's IP?

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. It tokenizes your CC info & then transmits it via NFC.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, apple pay shouldn't trigger an unofficial tethering warning.
    Ask them when and on what service was the shared data used for.
    Tell them you will file a complain with the ftc if they accuse you of something you didn't do and cannot provide further info on their claim.

10. cynics macrumors G3

I'm a moron and I agree with your off-topic self righteous nonsense!