Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Is anyone else getting the feeling that their data is getting throttled down on AT&T?

This past week I've been experiencing slow data speeds or my iPhone will not connect or download what I want over 3G. Usually it's from streaming videos. I've mainly experienced my iPhone not connecting when I want to view a large video file, say a video that's over 20 minutes in length on high quality over YouTube. But when I stream/download something in the 10 minute or under range, no problem (yet).

I have an unlimited 3G data plan on my iPhone 4 through AT&T. I normally consume upwards of 10GB of data per month over 3G. Are we getting to the point where the term "unlimited" will have quotations and asterisks leading to some fine print?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No throttling here. I download more than the average AT&T user and its just as fast as ever.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
No throttling here. I download more than the average AT&T user and its just as fast as ever.

But do you download more than 10GB's a month? I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is throttling your speeds, T-Mobile does it and Verizon plans to introduce it for those who use over 5GB's per month.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
No, it might be just you or problems with your local network coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised. The coverage where I live has never had great service, even before getting my iPhone 4. I currently get two bars of service here. I've called and complained countless times to ATT and get nowhere with them. I've even tried to get a free Microcell out of it and no dice, they want me to shell out the $150 for the POS. :mad:

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

iMikeT said:
Is anyone else getting the feeling that their data is getting throttled down on AT&T?

This past week I've been experiencing slow data speeds or my iPhone will not connect or download what I want over 3G. Usually it's from streaming videos. I've mainly experienced my iPhone not connecting when I want to view a large video file, say a video that's over 20 minutes in length on high quality over YouTube. But when I stream/download something in the 10 minute or under range, no problem (yet).

I have an unlimited 3G data plan on my iPhone 4 through AT&T. I normally consume upwards of 10GB of data per month over 3G. Are we getting to the point where the term "unlimited" will have quotations and asterisks leading to some fine print?

Where do you live? I'm in East Texas and AT&T has been REALLY SLOW these past few weeks. I assume they're doing work on infrastructure and backbone.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I forgot to mention that when I connect to my wifi network that I can download/view large videos with no problem.

Can someone do me a favor? Please do this only if you have an unlimited plan. Please go to YouTube via Safari and search for "tos where no man has gone before" and attempt to play the 50 minute version of the video in HQ over 3G. Let me know the results here.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Where do you live? I'm in East Texas and AT&T has been REALLY SLOW these past few weeks. I assume they're doing work on infrastructure and backbone.

The southern part of the state that's under my user name to the left.

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
My average is 12Gb.

Wow. I am really curious how you even do that. I have had my 4 since it came out and I have not reached 10 gigs yet total. My wife dies a lot more streaming and she consumes at a higher rate but not even close to 12. Are you tethering to a computer or summit?

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
you must be getting throttled because im on the "inferior" verizon network, and i can watch it just fine. its been a couple minutes and ive got about a quarter of it buffered

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wow. I am really curious how you even do that. I have had my 4 since it came out and I have not reached 10 gigs yet total. My wife dies a lot more streaming and she consumes at a higher rate but not even close to 12. Are you tethering to a computer or summit?

Lots of streaming video and web surfing. I have a low cap on my DSL so I have my iPhone download lots of big files. I don't tether in any form either. My current record is 20.3 Gb in one billing cycle.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Lots of streaming video and web surfing. I have a low cap on my DSL so I have my iPhone download lots of big files. I don't tether in any form either. My current record is 20.3 Gb in one billing cycle.

Exactly, not hard at all. Streaming video will greatly add to the count.

I'm not too far behind you, I pegged the meter at 14+ Gb in a billing cycle. I'm making it a point to watch at least one feature length movie (90+ minutes) per day and really peg the unlimited meter.

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I do a lot of surfing. That doesnt count for crap. Are you using bigu for movies or what? I dont stream that much only because I need my battery to be good for about 12 hours a day. Streaming really kills it.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I do a lot of surfing. That doesnt count for crap. Are you using bigu for movies or what? I dont stream that much only because I need my battery to be good for about 12 hours a day. Streaming really kills it.

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. I usually do my movie watching in bed before I charge my iPhone for the night.

Bloake

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
No throttling here. I'm actually in a hotel (with no wifi) and I just used HandyLight (now pulled) to freely tether AT&T data to my macbook. I just downloaded a 700~MB movie in about 45 minutes. Not bad.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I forgot to mention that when I connect to my wifi network that I can download/view large videos with no problem.

Can someone do me a favor? Please do this only if you have an unlimited plan. Please go to YouTube via Safari and search for "tos where no man has gone before" and attempt to play the 50 minute version of the video in HQ over 3G. Let me know the results here.

loaded it via 3G it plays fine...and yes I'm unlimited....Houston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.