AT&T throttling iPhones?

Hype2k2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, Texas
Past few weeks both my brother and I have noticed a sporadic speed reduction in our iPhones from just browsing the web with safari to other web dependent apps. At first I was thinking I went over "unlimited" cap but my brother had a tiered data plan but he's in the same boat. Next I figured the area we are in but my HTC Titan and his Inspire both run through the web just fine. Anyone else we talked to with android/wps have had no issues. Surely we both didn't get faulty units? He purchased his 4S in November and I purchased mine in March.

Anyone else having problems?

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Past few weeks both my brother and I have noticed a sporadic speed reduction in our iPhones from just browsing the web with safari to other web dependent apps.
Did you both recently upgrade to iOS 5.1.1? I've notice internet problems since upgrading. I have very slow internet speeds or I can't connect at all. I only get a can't connect to the server message at times.

There is no reason for me to be throttled because I don't use that much data a month and I don't have the unlimited data plan. I've reset and restored my phone but the problem is still there. I've been reading about others who say they can't connect to the internet either through 3G or Wi-Fi or their internet is slower after upgrading to 5.1.1.

Hype2k2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, Texas
Did you both recently upgrade to iOS 5.1.1? I've notice internet problems since upgrading. I have very slow internet speeds or I can't connect at all. I only get a can't connect to the server message at times.

There is no reason for me to be throttled because I don't use that much data a month and I don't have the unlimited data plan. I've reset and restored my phone but the problem is still there. I've been reading about others who say they can't connect to the internet either through 3G or Wi-Fi or their internet is slower after upgrading to 5.1.1.
Yes, I have. Kind of a late reply, but still having issues after a network and a factory restore. :(

codelode84

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I've noticed the same since updating to 5.1.1. It's sporadic, but from time-to-time Safari will be almost unusable due to the slow speeds.
I am noticing this the last two days. I have only used a little over 1 GB the numbers I am getting are horrible. I had a rep walk me thru troubleshooting yesterday and seemed okay when done but I didn't do a speedtest and bam slow again today.

Then I decided to new network setting reset and still garbage. I am going to call them again this is bs.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I am noticing this the last two days. I have only used a little over 1 GB the numbers I am getting are horrible. I had a rep walk me thru troubleshooting yesterday and seemed okay when done but I didn't do a speedtest and bam slow again today.

Then I decided to new network setting reset and still garbage. I am going to call them again this is bs.
I've actually been pushing my data use this month in an effort to see if I'd get throttled (I rarely use over 1.5 gig in a month and I've never been over 2 gig until now). I'm currently at 2.4 gig with 4-5 days left in the billing cycle (keep in mind that I'm on the grandfathered unlimited, so that's why I wanted to do this test...to see if I'd get throttled once I got over 2 gig). As far as I can tell, I'm not being throttled. I also haven't received the "warning" text from AT&T. My speeds seem to be having a good day today, but that could change again tomorrow.

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I've actually been pushing my data use this month in an effort to see if I'd get throttled (I rarely use over 1.5 gig in a month and I've never been over 2 gig until now). I'm currently at 2.4 gig with 4-5 days left in the billing cycle (keep in mind that I'm on the grandfathered unlimited, so that's why I wanted to do this test...to see if I'd get throttled once I got over 2 gig). As far as I can tell, I'm not being throttled. I also haven't received the "warning" text from AT&T. My speeds seem to be having a good day today, but that could change again tomorrow.
Keep us posted. I also hardly use more than 1GB and have unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.