AT&T Tiered Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Terabyte2007, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

It's bad enough that I have to deal with terrible reception with AT&T in my area now tiered data plans? 2 GB of data a month? Wow, maybe I can watch 1 HD movie from Netflix on my iPad each month... It seems AT&T does not have the robust network that I keep hearing about, maybe take some of those advertising dollars and allocate monies elsewhere to create a more robust network capable of handing the products that they advertise and sell! One of the most important aspects of new smart-phones and devices such as the iPad are the video and data streaming capabilities. Apple partners with AT&T and they both advertise the sale of these devices but it appears now that they are going limit there capabilities even more! Ok, lets allow tethering but limit to 2GB? Maybe in the 1990's that would be acceptable but now? 2GB is nothing when it comes to rich media such as photos and videos unless your looking at extremely low resolution material.

I edit video and some of my still cameras are above 14MP, just one photo can be 8-10mb in jpeg format let alone RAW. Even zipped (which does not lower jpeg images by an acceptable margin) can still eat up the 2 GB limit quickly when emailing to co-workers and friends. Then to charge 10 bucks per GB after you go over your limit is ludicrous! Again, I have friends that have Droids and Palms on different carriers that have unlimited data plans with tethering and don't even think twice about it. Why is this even an issue?

I thought being in the 21st Century, we would be able to get by all this crap and bandwidth would not really be an issue, and for some it is not, but for AT&T it apparently still is...

2. rkswat macrumors regular

Actually no, you don't have to put up with any of it. The fact that you say you have crap reception and yet you stay with at&t says more about YOU than at&t.

You don't have to use at&t to own an iPad. You certainly don't have to email your "huge" pictures (even zipped) over your phones/iPads 3g service. How about you come into the "21 century" and get some dsl or cable internet and use that. At&t isn't limiting anything, you can use as much data as you please...... wait.... you said you have an iPad already? Seeing as you're bitching about at&t's "new" iPad plan, that means you already have the plan. If that's the case you won't need to worry anyway, you'll be grandfathered in. If you you don't have the 3g iPad then you really don't need to worry about it do you.

Grow up! If at&t service is so crappy for you then do something about it.... I mean more than coming into a forum and starting the 50th post about at&t and it's new data plans.

3. Terabyte2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

Well, actually I do, unless I want to give up my iPhone.

Ummm, yes I do. Getting some of the images from my field work back to the FTP is rather important in some cases. Being truly mobile and connected to my server is very important in many cases.

Lets see... I am sitting on an OC12 (622.08 Mbits/s) at work and 21 Mbits/s service at home, I think I am well into the 2st Century.

Yeah if you don't want tethering (Legally)!

It is well within my right to express my concerns over what I pay for as a consumer. Each and everyone of you have this right also. When you are paying premium prices for services that you would expect to accommodate your needs and it falls short, of course you would question this, who would not?

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well you guys can have AT&T and your iPhone. I will stick with Verizon and my Motorola Droid.

Seriously...it's a shame that these smart phones are getting smarter and doing more and yet at the end of the day we enjoy them less because it is costing us more money. We all like value for our dollar. We love it. It makes us happy to purchase a new toy and be able to enjoy it and pay a reasonable fee. However, if these wireless providers are going to nickel and dime us to death and reduce our enjoyment of the product they sold us, then I for one will simply terminate my service and go without. Life is way to short to put up with companies like AT&T who care nothing about their customers and are concerned solely about the almighty dollar.

I seem to remember that it was AT&T who also doubled their early termination agreement fee (which is now over $350) for customers who wanted to jump ship.

Too bad that Apple doesn't flex more of its muscle (like Wally World does with mfg and distributors) to extract the most value out of the iPhone for it's users. Sooner or later, sales of iPhones will drop dramatically as a result of AT&T's greed.

Perhaps other carriers will follow suit eventually and if they do, I hope that people will wake up and take notice. As users of these products we have the final say so in paying for them. If we don't like AT&T or Verizon, then we can cancel our service and live without these products. Believe me as much as I enjoy my Droid, I would have no reservation in getting rid of it if Verizon decides to put the screws to me. Just my 8 cents...

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Nope, just $325.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You know Verizon raised theirs first right?

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Someone needs to read up on the difference between a forum and a blog.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well then, you are making the choice to keep your iPhone and at&t's crappy service in your area. There are some nice android phones (Incredible & EVO) on Verizon and Sprint. Maybe their reception and data rates will be more to your liking.

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

OMG!!! What does this comment have to do with the subject of the post? So....be a gent and tell us the difference...if we must know...