Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
your gonna tell me it's hardware issue better get your story straight apple i smell money

I honestly believe that the original iPhones hardware could be used to receive MMS under the right circumstances. It's not impossible.

That said, I speculate that Apple may have decided on a specific implementation of MMS handling, and for whatever reason, that implementation is specific to 3G.

so how do they explain the mms apps in the european itunes appstore in portugal and spain
I've never seen any of the European iTunes App Stores, so I don't know for sure.

However, the first generation iPhone was never sold in those two countries - they could easily all be based on the assumption that only 3G iPhones would use the apps.

Alternatively, it may be that those apps use a different implementation of MMS than the one that Apple has chosen. See my speculation above.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
What a load of crap! The phone is still locked. For a similar price, you can buy the an iPhone from Hong Kong which is officially (factory) unlocked by Apple.
Don't give greedy AT&T your money. Buy it from Hong Kong instead. No hacking required, as it is officially unlocked.

If you buy from AT&T, you will be voiding your warranty if you unlock it to use with another provider. So buy from Hong Kong instead. Yes, I'm repeating myself, and that's because I hate AT&T and I want them to lose your business!

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I agree with both of you, but...

I certainly agree with you on this. Though I figure there will be a lot of people who may pay the higher prices just to not be in a contract with anyone. I wouldn't pay that much for a phone but I am sure there are people who would (maybe not many that would admit to it).

People who get the subsidized phones are paying $500+ in the long run for the cost of the phone and the contract. So, I can see why some people might justify the purchase of the no-contract phone. I just don't understand what they'll do with an iPhone if they don't get that damned 3G data plan. It's pretty useless without the data plan, unless, of course, you are hacking for use on another network.:D

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
i can bet my first born there will be...a fowardfacing one for video conferencing if they are planning to be cutting edge they need to step it up in this game of the smartphone apple can only go so far with apps or the pre and blackberry anroid ,winmo will start setting up to the plate now that they know what they are up against they 'll change their plans

zenrock, what phones & carriers currently have forward-facing cameras and video capacity and are providing video conferencing?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
People who get the subsidized phones are paying $500+ in the long run for the cost of the phone and the contract. So, I can see why some people might justify the purchase of the no-contract phone. I just don't understand what they'll do with an iPhone if they don't get that damned 3G data plan. It's pretty useless without the data plan, unless, of course, you are hacking for use on another network.:D

Or unless you have Wi-Fi pretty much everywhere you go...

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Actually, this isn't accurate either. You must factor for time-value of money. Those $75 future payments are discounted in net present value. The $10 future payments for the cheaper plan must also be discounted. However, the flaw in your logic is most noticeable in that you are paying $700 up-front. The more you pay now, the less that will be discounted for time-value of money.

For those that don't have a financial background: net present value takes into consideration that money received in the future is worth less than money received today. It's similar to the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" rationale. The reason money is more valuable if you actually have it today is because you can use it to make more money. If you have money in your pocket, you can earn interest on it, etc.

I don't have my financial calculator with me, but I would guess that the $200 down payment and $75 stream of payments for 24 months is actually worth about $1500 depending on interest rates. I would guess the $700 down payment and $10 stream of payments for 24 months is actually worth about $860.

NPV of $200 phone + $75 monthly payments = $1500
NPV of $700 phone + $10 monthly payments = $860

So, you might still be correct, just not 100% accurate. Also, someone with a financial background and a financial calculator capable of doing Net Present Values could make these numbers a little more accurate.

it should be $700 phone + $75 monthly payments. its no-commitment when buying it but when you do activate the iphone rates still apply.

nowonder24

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Actually, this isn't accurate either. You must factor for time-value of money. Those $75 future payments are discounted in net present value. The $10 future payments for the cheaper plan must also be discounted. However, the flaw in your logic is most noticeable in that you are paying $700 up-front. The more you pay now, the less that will be discounted for time-value of money.

Sure, time-value was the reason why I wrote that "having to pay more upfront" might be an issue. Still, the effects are not too big (especially given current interest rates). And for this minor amounts of money, I don't put them into saving accounts with nice interest rates anyway. And the interest rate on my giro bank account is around 0.15% ;-)

nowonder24

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
zenrock, what phones & carriers currently have forward-facing cameras and video capacity and are providing video conferencing?

I'm not zenrock, but half the current UMTS phones have a forward-facing camera and all European providers I have experience with are providing video conferencing (many started offering this in 2002). This is like the most normal feature I can imagine.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm not zenrock, but half the current UMTS phones have a forward-facing camera and all European providers I have experience with are providing video conferencing (many started offering this in 2002). This is like the most normal feature I can imagine.

Also count in a lot of NTT DoCoMo phones in Japan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.