AT&T to reduce speeds to unlimited data customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasperk99, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasperk99, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

jasperk99 macrumors regular

Just read this on my bill, forgive me if this has been posted already,

Important Update for Unlimited Data Plan Customers

To provide the best possible network experience, starting 10/01/11, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans whose usage is in the top 5% of users can still use unlimited data but may see reduced data speeds for the rest of their monthly billing cycle. We'll alert you if you near the top 5%. To avoid slowed speeds you may use Wi-Fi or choose a tiered data plan. Details @ att.com/dataplans.

Are they now forcing us to go tiered...........

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

If you're in the top 5%, then it will suck. However, I doubt that effects many of us here, and if it does, maybe it is time to get a real home internet connection as opposed to using your phone.

I honestly don't know how anyone uses more than 4-5GB a month. I use my phone a good deal and have never gone over 900MB.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Refers to top 5% of users. It doesn't say to all users.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I use about 5GB a month. Hopefully I'll still be able to stream Netflix towards the end of my billing period. =/

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I still don't understand the big deal, so now you will get edge speed. You still can pull as much data on your phone as you want.

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

This is excellent news. I'd go further, and state that this would be a perfect alternative to charging overages for tiered data plans as well.

(But in the case of going above your tiered limit, the throttling could be very severe, say, pushing you all the way back to GPRS speeds. Only enough data to allow the iPhone to continue automatically consuming data for services such as iAds and push email behind your back, without unexpectedly costing you any extra dollars.)

And I think it would also be ideal policy for tiered landline home broadband service as well, perhaps slowing you down to 150 kbps for the remainder of the month after you've reached your monthly allowance.

Bring it on!!!

By the way, just in case some people may think this may be sarcasm that's been obscured by the textual medium of an Internet forum: I am being absolutely serious here. I very honestly think this is very good news.

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Tmobile already does this with their customers. Part of the reason why their plans are cheaper.

It's only a problem if you're gobbling up data constantly with streaming data (ie; netflix, pandora.)

Eventually ATT will do away with unlimited data as soon as 4G is rolled out, I'm hoping not but I wouldn't be surprised.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.