AT&T to T-Mobile... need advice

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by furi0usbee, Aug 4, 2008.

1. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Hi. I'm an unhappy AT&T customer. I am seriously thinking about unlocking my phone and going back to T-Mobile. I really know nothing about unlocking, except to use the Pwnage Tool software.

I would like to know what I can expect when unlocking and switching back to T-Mobile. What features will I lose (I hear there is a hack to use T-Mobile's EDGE network for internet on the iPhone), gain, etc?

What are the pros/cons... Basically I need some help deciding if I want to unlock, and what risks this poses for me down the road.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

From what I understand, you'll lose 3G and visual voicemail for sure. I'll let others chime in with the rest. :)

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you use the Unlimited 19.99 Total Internet Plan then you won't have to Hack it. I would suggest this.

The Hack is for Tzones (they renamed it, I forgot to what) for 5.99. It's a little tricky to get working, so unless you're comfortable with all out hacking your phone, I'd shy away from the Tzones and use the 19.99 Total Internet.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Thought I'd mention there's no way to unlock a 3g. There are card hacks, but you have to buy those and the hackers charge ridiculous amounts.

5. Inukami macrumors 6502

You sure the Unlimited 19.99 Total Internet Plan will work on the iPhone?

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes. I have it. I could never get the T-Zones to work in Chicago (maybe they purposely lock out iPhones here from using it?). No worries, I end up using T-Mobile hotspots anyways now...

7. hondaboy945 macrumors member

From what I read, the tmobile 3G is the same 2100 Mhz that att uses for there service so check it out.

8. rayber macrumors newbie

Assuming you have a first gen iPhone, you would be able to switch. There are three issues I have potentially heard about -- only one of which was an issue when I switched my wife to T-Mobile using a first gen iPhone (albeit, we are in the UK).

1) Data Access (i.e. EDGE) -- you will need to configure the APN, username, and password under the settings menu in order to get any data access. Assuming you have paid for a data plan, you can do a simple search and get this detail online. I did so for the UK APN and after a few tries, got the data service up and running. This was the only of the three issue we've had. BTW, I called TMobile for help and they were useless - don't waste the time on hold.

2) SMS - I have heard some folks have issues with text messages when unlocking. This wasn't an issue for me, but maybe others could share their experiences?

3) Vmail - you won't have visual voicemail, but I didn't think that was much of a loss. TMobile was shocked that we had access to our vmailbox from the iPhone, but I wasn't sure why that would be an issue. They gave us a special access number to call in the UK, but as I mentioned, my wife gets vmails no problem so hasn't needed it.

These three things aside, plus the other risks I'm sure will get mentioned; switching networks was fairly easy.

Good luck.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You're potentially wrong. T-Mo has been reported as using a frequency for 3G that is incompatible with some ATT phones, including the iPhone.

Also, not many places have T-Mo 3G service.

10. TahBOSS macrumors newbie

yeah that is true. what I heard is that t-mobile should be releasing their 3g service pretty soon for their entire service areas..

11. ItsmefromNL macrumors newbie

Hey Bryan,

How can I get in contact with you?

12. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Why are you resurrecting a 5 year old thread?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agree :confused:

Nothing in the thread is currently the same as it is now.

Oh wait ... Dec 2013 .. newbie !

14. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yeah I figured the same.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Stop go away.
    Because he is prob "selling" an unlock and wants to take advantage.