AT&T to Verizon (IUP)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appygirl82, Feb 27, 2017.

1. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Thought I would make a thread specifically for those who are making the switch from AT&T to Verizon that are on the iPhone Upgrade Program.

For those who have done it already.....

How easy was the process?
    When did/will you get your refund from Citizens One for your old loan?
    Did you receive hard credit pulls from both Citizens One AND Verizon?
    Were you able to port over your existing phone number?

Any other "snags" that you ran into?

I really want (and need) to switch over to Verizon as I've stated in a few other threads. Verizon has better service for the area I live. My major road block is the potential multiple credit pulls that may happen. I am not able to have that right now due to home buying. Interested to hear what others have experienced thus far. I'd sure love to get on the current unlimited plan with VZW before it changes/goes away :)

2. bsholbrook macrumors newbie

The process is a bit messy and can take a while to complete, but I'm extremely glad we did it!!!

I was disappointed the Apple decided on a two modem approach for the 7 series phones, but glad to see they are taking care of people and supporting the move. End result has been better more consistent coverage without regrets!

3. edlex, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Now Apple just needs to provide Sprint to Verizon program considering Sprint IUP iPhone 7's, although technically have identical hardware, are not allowed on Verizon network without massive amounts of trickery.

4. joeyalex macrumors newbie

I did this last weekend. The process is cumbersome, but I'm glad Apple decided to take care of this problem.

As far as credit pulls, definitely got a hard pull from Verizon on Experian. Nothing from Citizen's yet, but that may still show up. They did a single hard pull for two lines when I first signed up, and I'm assuming the same will happen.

The snags I ran in to were:
    1) only one person at the store seemed to know about the process. If he hadn't been there, I don't know if I would have been able to get this done.

2) first line went fine, activated on Verizon without any problems. Second line got stuck. Apparently you can't add a second line without establishing a PIN and verifying the account. Took a few calls between Apple me and Verizon to get this sorted out.

3) first line showed unlimited plan as an option during activation. Second line did not. Had to activate on 2 GB plan and then switch to unlimited online after everything was done at Apple. Probably a glitch between Apple and Verizon.

4) you have to pay tax+first payment in store on the new loan(s), so you're out that money until the refund is processed.

5) if you have phones not on IUP, Apple can't help you get them onto Verizon. I had one paid off AT&T next line that needed to come over that I ended up doing myself. Apple was nice and gave me a SIM card for this, which saved me a trip to Verizon. You can activate a phone with a SIM and port the number online without calling or going into a store.

Citizens says 5-7 business days for the refund, it also says it'll go back to my card. Still waiting for this.

I was unable to get my store to give me the Verizon phones while keeping AT&T. It appears the same IUP rules apply here, so if you're on Verizon you get a Verizon phone. I was hoping to swap phones and do Verizon switch in a different transaction so I could try to get a store to waive activation fees, but no go on that.

For porting, make sure you have your AT&T account number and PIN. Also, if you're like me and everything is on your phone, don't wipe it until everything is done. I had to look up a few things on the old phone. Make sure you have iCloud passwords for all phones, you'll need them.

These are also new retail phones, in case anyone is wondering. In my case, I just brought my AT&T phones in, so they kept all of the accessories and box from the Verizon phones and just gave me the phones.

The whole process took about an hour and a half for two lines. The snag on the second line ate up a lot of time. The Apple rep had to call, then I had to call and then the rep had to call in again to get this fixed.

Overall, I'm glad I did this now. Trying to do it during an iPhone release would have been a nightmare. I'll update if anything else happens, but so far it all looks good.

5. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Thank you for all this info!!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It must be torture having to wait. o_O If you do wait a little while longer, you can get one of the new iPhones. :cool:

Here at Verizon, we will keep the light on for you. The party is waiting...

7. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Thanks for the great info. I am still debating the switch from AT&T.
    I want to make sure I understand your comment about getting the VZW phone but keeeping AT&T. You wanted to basically use the VZW phone but on AT&T service and make the actual switch/ port later? Is that correct?

8. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

If you're on AT&T or T-mobile and plan to switch to Verizon or sprint on iup, ask for a sim free phone and they can activated it post paid with a att or T-Mobile SIM card.

It can be done.

That way you don't have to risk a second credit pull.

9. joeyalex macrumors newbie

Yeah, I wanted to port at a Verizon store. I had a third line that wasn't IUP that needed to come over and I figured it would be cleaner to do them all in one shot. I was also hoping I could maybe talk Verizon down on the activation fees for porting three lines with my own phones.

10. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I see. So the Apple guys would not let you do this?

11. joeyalex macrumors newbie

Correct. They were sticking to the IUP rules...in order to walk out with a Verizon phone you must have Verizon service. I didn't try asking for a SIM free model though, I told them specifically I wanted to end up on Verizon.

Also, I did get a hard pull from Citizens One, showed up today. Same as when I originally did the program, one pull for both lines. So if you're going to do this, you'll be in it for two hard credit pulls. My score went down by 1 point, so it won't be a problem for me but others may want to avoid this if credit pulls are an issue.

12. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

That is a bummer! I may try this but ask for the sim free model.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont do it appygirl82.
    Think of the mortgage refi:)

14. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I have 2 lines also. So did you get one pull from Citizens (for the 2 lines) and then 1 pull from Verizon?? Only affected it by 1 point? Hmmm maybe I'll make the leap! 1 point isn't that bad!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2017 ---
    Lol! Well the refi has been funded now so that's over!! My new house won't even be started until April. So my home loan for new house won't be until summertime. Soooo....maybe if I do the swap now, I'll be ok!!?!! Won't be getting new home loan for several months :)

15. joeyalex macrumors newbie

Yep, one from Citizens and one from Verizon. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal. Inquiries are generally around 10% of the credit score at max, and usually much less unless you have a bunch of them.

I'm pretty happy with Verizon so far, definitely has been worth the trouble.

16. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Did you have to pay anything up front? Taxes aren't a problem as I live in Oregon. Was there any other costs to make the swap?

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

"
    • First Installment Payment. Your first installment payment under your Installment Loan will be authorized on your credit card at the time of purchase, pick-up, or shipment and will be processed within three days.
    • Taxes and Fees. All applicable taxes and fees due on the purchase of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ are included in your first installment payment for purchases made at an Apple Retail Store. For purchases made on apple.com, your credit card will be charged with two separate transactions: (1) applicable taxes and fees on the full retail price of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ will be paid to Apple; and (2) the first payment of your Installment Loan will be paid to Bank."
    https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

18. joeyalex macrumors newbie

Yep, they are basically reversing your existing AT&T/T-Mobile IUP loan(s) and starting you over again from square one. So, yes, you will have to give them a credit card and pay first month plus taxes (if any) on all lines.

Since the refund of payments from the original loan doesn't happen immediately you have to float these fees until Citizens processes your refund. That still hasn't happened for me. I've received the tax back from Apple that I paid, since the order was online they charged it separately, but not the payments for the loan yet.

19. Niemann macrumors newbie

Niemann

This might not be the right thread for this, but it's the closest I could find. I am in the Apple IUP program and attempted to switch from AT&T's ancient unlimited plan to Verizon's new unlimited plan yesterday. However, when they attempted to transfer my plan they said that the iPhone 7 (unlocked from Apple through the IUP) was ineligible for Verizon's new unlimited plan. This sounded weird, but after running my credit they simply turned me away and told me there was nothing they could do. Does this make sense or should I head back in and see if it was simply a glitch with their process?

Thanks for the assistance.

20. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

The AT&T iPhone 7 hardware is not compatible with Verizon. You have to go to an Apple Store and have them switch you out to a Verizon phone and establish a Verizon account like several have done in this thread.

21. Niemann macrumors newbie

Niemann

22. CoriG macrumors 6502

I switched phones and service and I got two pulls on my credit. My score went down about 10-15 points...

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not bad.
    It also depends on each individuals situation, finances and credit score.
    if you're in the middle of a property purchase any hard pulls or lowering of your score could cost you over 30 years.
    If your score is high then it wont matter much but if its average it could play a role.

24. CoriG macrumors 6502

I am not worried because my credit is really high.. but now I am going to leave T-mobile and switch to verizon so my credit will probably drop again... ugh!

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, Im the same way.
    Its high in the "exceptional" level but I still dont like to see it drop 5-10 point for a few months :D