AT&T Top 5%

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dgstan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I've got an iPhone 4 running iOS5, jailbroken, of course. I'm on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Yesterday, I got a notice from AT&T that I am now in their top 5% of data users and that my data rate might get throttled back in the future (right now, they just want to sell me a different data plan). Currently, my Cellular stats have me at 120MB sent / 3.3 GB received. Does that sound like I'm in the top 5%?

Two days ago, I was at a hotel that wanted $15 for WiFi access, so I installed PDANet so I could tether my laptop. It worked, but was slower than crap, so I only used it for a minute and went back to my iPhone. Certainly didn't use much bandwidth while tethering.

I'm wondering if AT&T detected I was tethering and instead of sending me the "we know you're tethering" threat, they sent me the more innocuous "top 5%" notice.

On a related note: Does anyone know the approx. difference in data usage between Pandora's "Higher Quality" setting versus the default?

2. theman510 macrumors 6502

I'm on a 4S so I'm not jailbroken, but I'm anxiously awaiting a jailbreak to come out, and I got the same text. To date with 5 days left in my billing cycle I've used 2.8GB of data.

I got my text from AT&T on Dec 9th.

So I don't think it has anything to do with tethering

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

YEs, it does have to do with your Tethering, but no because they actually detected it anything special, they are sending that to most users that suddenly increase their usage pass the 2GB mark. It had been around in other forums as well.