AT&T two year plan only for those switching to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Jun 10, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

The back of the iPhone box says:

"Requirements: Minimum new two-year wireless service plan with AT&T required to activate all iPhone features, including iPod features."

I definitely didn't sign a new two-year deal when I got my first-gen iPhone so maybe it's just something they have to say for new people coming to AT&T?

2. artward22 macrumors newbie

I think this is a change in policy. This is how they can afford to subsidize the phones. Everyone gets a two-year extension no matter what.

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I understand that, but if it said it for the first-gen iPhone also, maybe it's just something that has to be said for people changing carriers for the phone. I had AT&T already so I went into the store, bought my iPhone and that was it, activated it at home.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you activated it at home (via iTunes), you had to check a box in iTunes during the activation to agree to Apple's terms, and then you had to check another box agreeing to AT&T's terms before iTunes would activate your phone.

AT&T's terms that you agreed to should have started you on a new two-year contract when you finished your iPhone activation.