AT&T U-Verse and Credit Score

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barr08, Feb 5, 2009.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

I am a recent college grad who is gainfully employed and living in an apartment with two of my fraternity brothers who also have jobs. Right now, I am use COX for my internet and cable, but am incredicbly dissatisfied with my service. The internet is slow, and the cable is spotty at best - always has been since we moved in. Recently, 6 months passed since we got the service, so my bill went up by about $40 - something I was not informed would happen when I signed up for the service. So now, I am paying $140 a month to COX (I pay the entire COX bill because I have the master bedroom), and I want out.

So I went to the local AT&T store and talked to a really nice gentleman. I told him I wanted U-verse, so we went through all the hoops, I chose a service, gave all my info, etc. Right when I am about to leave, he tells me I can't get the service because of my credit score. At that point (about 3 months ago) I had no credit card, wasn't paying student loans yet, and had no credit history that I knew of. We assumed it was because of my lack of a credit history.

Now, 3 months later, I have been using my credit card (liberally...) and paying off far more than the monthly payments. Also, I have been paying off my student loans in full and on time. Do any of you have any experience with U-Verse, and could maybe tell me if you ran into this problem too? I guess I don't really know what I'm looking for you guys to say, maybe just some advice or something. I really don't want to stay with COX, and I would like to switch to U-Verse as soon as possible.

Thanks for looking!

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Get a co-signer? Ive never understood why fixed cost services were worried about your credit report, they should just bill you before the month starts and call it good.

If no co-signer you are probably SOL, it takes a long time to build up credit. You might also ask if they will accept a deposit for x amount of time to cover your credit report.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You might want to try it again, but I'm not sure if 3 months is long enough of a credit history. I had no problems getting U-verse with student loans and a car loan, and no credit card debt (although I have and use credit cards)

BTW, is the location in your profile correct? Just curious since Boston, or the entire state of MA for that matter, isn't an AT&T service area for U-verse or other landline services.

Zombie, U-verse is billed in advance, but they check credit to make sure you're not going to run up a bill of pay per view movies and not pay it, or cancel service and not return, or pay for, equipment.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Is there a way you can have them automatically bill one of your credit cards every month?

You would think they would at least have let you put down a deposit, that's how my Mom had to do when we first got our cell phones because she didn't have very good credit (although we don't have AT&T).

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Good catch. I am currently living and working near Hartford, CT.

They didn't offer to let me give them a deposit, but maybe if I pushed a bit more, that could be an option. Although I think this is kinda silly to begin with, I don't think I would be willing to give too much of a deposit.

6. Taylor H macrumors newbie

Hi,

Consulting an professional will also assist you to identify the errors and correct it. If you have crossed the credit cards or even if you have not payed a student loan, it will hit your scoring. Therefore, it is very important that you have to map out a good plan to tackle these problems and get back on the correct track with your accounts.