AT&T UDP Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Jun 19, 2015.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

image.jpg As we know AT&T implemented the new non hard throttling policy.

Since I used more than 5GB BEFORE June I didn't receive a text message. The other lines in my family plan did receive the text message. I assume next billing cycle I'll start to receive text messages.

Anyone elaborate on the new policy? Will speeds be reduced for the remaining of the billing cycle just in the congested area or will speeds be reduced no matter what area?

2. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Speeds will be reduced only in congested areas and only for the period of congestion.

With pending FCC fine, I bet throttling quietly goes away.

3. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Hah.

I popped into this thread thinking "AT&T has a policy about UDP? Why would they have to have a separate policy on UDP vs TCP?"

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you are now in a congested area. Does not really matter as AT&T rules and will slow you down if they wish according to your warning.

5. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Very possible as we live in one of the top metros but doesn't seem like we are being slowed down.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry about you being in one of the top metros but glad you are not being slowed down.

The size of the city may not have as much to do with it as the load on the network.

7. Instapez macrumors newbie

For everyone worried about getting throttled in a congested area, I can confirm that after using over 8Gb so far this month while on the UDP with AT&T, I was in downtown Boston yesterday and I noticed the throtteling immediately after trying to send a video message. The fix was a simple reboot and my speed was back to normal. I hope this helps. Sure hope ATT doesn't change this fix.

8. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

I don't think you'll have to reboot after every billing cycle.