Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BearsFan4Life88

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Those with the old $30 smartphone unlimited data plan. Anyway to unthrottle yourself back to regular LTE speeds, or HSPA+ speeds? 0.50mbps is killing me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, they want to move you off the unlimited plan so once you reached a threshold they throttle you down.

you have a choice, enjoy unlimited data, but at cost of very slow performance or go to a quota system where you pay for your data

BearsFan4Life88

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Nope, they want to move you off the unlimited plan so once you reached a threshold they throttle you down.

you have a choice, enjoy unlimited data, but at cost of very slow performance or go to a quota system where you pay for your data

I would go to their 10GB mobile share plan; however, I want to keep my subsidy pricing. When the iPhone 6 comes out, I can fully upgrade with a 2-yr agreement. If I went with mobile share now, I'd get low pricing until I signed a new contract.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you can change plans without affecting your subsidized pricing. I did it with ATT before and I've changed my plan on VZW. Call to validate but that may be an option.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I would go to their 10GB mobile share plan; however, I want to keep my subsidy pricing. When the iPhone 6 comes out, I can fully upgrade with a 2-yr agreement. If I went with mobile share now, I'd get low pricing until I signed a new contract.

Correct:D

They still may want to make you pay $40 instead of $15 but might change their minds to get you off of the unlimited.

BearsFan4Life88

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Correct:D

They still may want to make you pay $40 instead of $15 but might change their minds to get you off of the unlimited.

Why would they want anybody off unlimited? If they throttled, then it can have no serious impact on their network?

How many people are left with unlimited anyway? If all of them used unlimited amounts, I am sure it would not impact the network.

I read last year there was a way to get un-throttled by using airplane mode.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Why would they want anybody off unlimited? If they throttled, then it can have no serious impact on their network?

How many people are left with unlimited anyway? If all of them used unlimited amounts, I am sure it would not impact the network.

They make more money off tiered data plans due to the overages. So I'd imagine that's why they want people on those.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

Well, Airplane mode turns off your data so technically you aren't being throttled. :)

ugadawgs311

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I recently switched from an old unlimited data plan to their 10GB shared plan and noticed no real difference in speed. Not sure if I've just had poor signal strength when I performed the speed test or if I'm still being throttled.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

There used to be a way to un-throttle yourself on AT&T with a process that included toggling airplane mode, LTE and calling yourself. However, that hole was patched fairly quickly.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Why would they want anybody off unlimited?

Because making people pay for their data usage means they get more money. Don't want to pay more money? You get throttled.

There is actually some research to back your claim. But again, this is more about money than about actual network capacity. AT&T and other carriers feel that large data users should pay more, and if they are unwilling to do so, then they believe that such users should have their service degraded beyond a certain usage point.

(This isn't a view that I agree with or advocate, but that is what their view is.)

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Throttling starts after 5gb and from what I gather may not happen first couple times you go over. I have yet to experience it and I use internet a lot but stream video and audio with moderation. My speeds are above 10-20 mbs depending on reception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.