AT&T Unlimited and Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by euphoneia, Sep 22, 2015.

1. euphoneia macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone here smarter than I can help me out.

I'm using a 5S 16gb, just finished a 2-year contract with AT&T, unlimited data grandfathered. Unlocking the device as we speak. With all the different plan options and stronger options with other carriers out there, upgrading my device on the S cycle isn't as clear. Perhaps I could be saving money somewhere.
    My plan as is: 30$ unlimited data, 30$ unlimited text, 39.99$ 450 min rollover, plus a corporate discount my bill comes to 89$ a month give or take.
    I don't text at adderal teenage levels, but unlimited is a must. I rarely get anywhere near my 450 minutes a month and have thousands of rollover minutes to use. As for data, since we got Cox in the house my data usage has gone down to about a 3 gig a month average, before that I went over 5 gigs maybe once, but definitely averaged close to 5 gigs.
    Part of me wants to keep the unlimited data plan "just in case" I'm travelling, or somewhere without wifi, or so I can stream music and podcasts. I never watch movies on my phone.
    I'd like to get a 64gb phone, either a 6 or 6s but am finding all the combinations of plans and leases a bit confusing. I don't feel the need to upgrade every year, like I said I've been on the S cycle since 3s. Does the Next plan make sense if I change data plans? Or the Apple lease plan? Or just pay the whatever cost, 299$ and keep my plan as is?

2. tworth23 macrumors regular

Do what I'm doing, have same plan and am ditching the $30 unlimited texting and using whatsapp and iMessage. Your bill will be $59/month and buy phone outright and can switch to T-Mobile later if you'd like