Carrier AT&T Unlimited Data - considering to drop. Opinions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jades, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jades macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I am on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan with 450 minutes and unlimited text with mobile to any mobile, paying about $103 per month right now

Occasionally (when I am traveling) I will hit 5 GB and will get throttled to .50 up and down, which pretty much makes the internet useless. Web pages take longer to load and YouTube is just impossible to even bother with. I drive a lot and require navigation and looking at traffic (google maps), and the slowdown takes a toll on the google maps loading time as well, especially when I need to activate the nav last minute. It's funny because at one point I would be able to go up to 8-10 GB easily without being throttled

The last three months I actually did whatever I can to hit that 5 GB cap just to test the system to see whether or not I am going to be throttled, but I never get lucky anymore. I call AT&T and threaten to disconnect, and the rep cannot do anything to lift the restriction.

I am debating switching this plan to the 6 GB mobile share. Since I am out of contract I would be paying $105 per month before taxes, and it's a tremendous advantage because I can start using my phone more often. Right now I need to ask people to either call me back form their cell phone or I call them back from a landline in order not to go over my minutes.

What is your opinion? I have an iPad unlimited data plan which is where I watch my movies and shows from. I find the iPhone screen way too small for entertainment except when it comes to music streaming.

My main concern is the future. Because this is a grandfathered and "valuable" plan that people wish they had, and the fact that we become more and more dependent on data, it is a tough decision to make. My biggest fear is that one day AT&T will relax their throttling policies, or will bump up the .50 mbps speed to something more like 1 to 1.5 mbps, which is more usable.

In addition - the fact that the FCC is now calling out verizon on throttling makes me think that if the FCC actually does something to overturn verizon's proposed throttling plans, they will make AT&T follow through as well - and at that point it would be a huge waste where I would kick myself in the behind for.

Just to clarify, I am the only person on my plan

Thanks in advance

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm keeping my unlimited. Before the whole switch to the mobile share plans (which makes price comparing with the old plans difficult), the price for 3GB data was $30, so with the unlimited 5GB plan, you are getting a free 2GB for the same price.

Also, I find the throttling to be an advantage. If I am paying for 5GB a month on a regular plan, and on the last day of the month I use 100MB, I have to pay for the extra overage (in 1GB increments).

With the unlimited plan, if it is the last day and I hit 5GB, I'm okay with being throttled because I am willing to tolerate the slow speeds while having access to "emergency" data such as having to check my email or the weather and not have to pay extra.

3. Narien macrumors member

Sorry, can't really help you, I just have a question.

Does unlimited plans in the us not mean unlimited? I thought throttling happened when you had 2 gig data and not when you had unlimited...

4. megapopular macrumors 6502a

If your phone number isn't important and cost is, then I would sell the line with unlimted on ebay and offset that money with any overages you may incur with the mobile share plan. You can make $300-$500 for selling the unlimited plan and that might make the change more bearable.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I just dropped my unlimited and just looking at my bill it made sense. My wife and I at the most used just over 4GB of data combined. Now my daughter has an iPhone and we went to the 10GB family plan. We also save about $35 a month too going this route. Whats the point of "unlimited" if it's useless after 5GB? You're also getting unlimited minutes too, as as you were saying that would be a big help to you. You would have the best of both worlds seeing you have unlimited on your iPad, and you even said it's better to watch movies on it anyways (and I agree). With that, I would change my plan if I were you.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've had unlimited since the first iPhone came out. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm dumping it. Rather have a family share of 10 gigs unthrottled than the absurd speeds I currently get after 5.

Yes, I know this is what AT&T wants, but I don't care at this point. It's just not worth the headache. 5 gigs + super slow doesn't equal unlimited in my book. I'd rather pay $160/mo and share 10 (fast) gigs with my family. Toss in tethering and I'm quitting unlimited when iPhone 6 comes out.

Each month, if we haven't hit 10 gigs, I'll stream Twitch.tv to be sure we use the full 10 gigs... just out of spite.. because AT&T can bite me. :)

7. Jades thread starter macrumors 6502

I love the idea about selling the unlimited data plan

At this point though my only major concern is what will come in the future

The FCC is calling out verizon for their throttling. If any action is taken on verizon to make them change, won't they also make AT&T do the same?

If it wasn't for the FCC calling out verizon, I would've done this by now since I know I shouldn't look forward to any changes

8. JoshGlzBrk, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I don't think AT&T will be inclined or forced to do anything in reguards to throttling unlimited plans. The verizon situation is different because the 700mhz spectrum they bought and use for their LTE network has specific restrictions on what they can and cannot do. And "deny, limit, and block access" to the network is part of those things they cannot do.

AT&T's spectrum has no such restrictions.

9. techspin macrumors 6502a

Seems like the unlimited talk and extra GB of data would benefit you. Especially being able to avoid the hassle & embarrassment of resorting to landline technology to call someone back. ;)

10. Jades thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Now, if only there was a way to retain your number and sell that unlimited data. I've seen a loop hole posted before. I'm doing some research. If anyone knows a direct link please let me know

I don't mind switching to verizon or tmobile for few days- as I believe this process does require porting out

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The only reason why I'm holding to unlimited (also just one line with AT&T here) is to avoid charges. I'm pretty sure if I go to one of their tiered data plans, I'll be going over since I'm a heavy data user so I just have to bear with throttling. I usuall get throttled mid billing cycle.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm never giving up my AT&T unlimited data.
    Even after throttling data is still usable and bill is never higher with no surprises at the end of the month.

13. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I finally gave up the "unlimited" as well.

I had this on 5 iPhones on my plan and was paying close to $600/month over a total of 8 phone lines.
    I switched to a mobile share plan with 30GB shared, I was able to get rid of a MiFi device because now all phones can use mobile hotspot and I'm saving over $250 per month.

That's three thousand dollars a year saved and I can say I am not sad to see that old plan go.
    I didn't lose anything and I gained mobile hotspot capabilities. Seems like a win win for us.

14. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

I do not see the point to giving up an unlimited line, even more so for an individual account. 500kbps is perfectly fine for streaming music, maps, even web browsing. Yes it is slower, but no overages works. Plus none of the new plans make sense for an individual account.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you also lost $4000 in subsidies on your devices every 18 months too;)
    I don't think Paying full price for phones or making monthly payments on phones are included in your math.
    Unless you plan on staying with old phones forever;)

16. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I upgraded to every new phone, so every year rather than 2 years so every year I would pay $300 for a 32GB phone + $40 for an upgrade fee + $40 to activate the upgrade + the ETF.
    I get 4 new phones each year and the other 3 lines get hand me downs from the lines that upgraded.

After factoring in all the cost of a buying the phones ($729 for 2 phones and $629 for 2 phones) outright it is still less expensive year over year.

I have the spreadsheet around here somewhere:p

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Dropping the unlimited on two of our phones was the best thing I ever did. The only downside was I kept paying that damn $30 x 2 for a few years when I did not need it. Plus $15 data plan on two other phones.

Dropped all data plans on two ipads as well. And, my pc can use hotspot in hotel instead of the charge to use hotel wifi.

Total savings - tons! Loss of data? None.

18. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I've never paid for wifi at a hotel, they usually throw it for free if you ask or are nice to the front desk. But can't argue that mobile hot spot is an awesome feature to have.

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

This^^ I'd rather get thorttled then get hit with fees that increase my bill any day. I look at my unlimited data plan as a fee preventer if nothing else.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I heard if you give up unlimited data, AT&T will grant you three wishes.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes they did.

1 - No longer yell at my daughter for going over her 2gb even though Gram uses none.
    2 - No longer have to pay for cellular on either ipad.
    3 - Save me over $100 a month.

22. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I've gone round and round with the ATT reps.... Don't even get me started..

----------

500Kbps? I wish... try 20kbps. My phone is useless when I hit the cap.

23. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I went ahead and got rid of "unlimited" a while back after they started the throttling. I would rather pay 15 bucks if I go over, then not be able to use my phone at all for days, after paying all this money already for a fancy smartphone every month. And then if you find yourself going over 2-3 months in a row, then you know you need the next higher plan. Oooh, the big surprise is 15 bucks extra, lol.

24. mantan macrumors 68000

Love 'pry it out of my cold dead hand' customer who never comes close to their limit and pays more...but always saving for that one instance they may save $15 in overages. (The same $15 they happily blow on lunch, an Apple accessory...or other random cost.)

All worth it to be able to tether (with jail breaking) and get access to the new mobile share plans. (and yes, we did the math on upgrading phones. We don't upgrade the kids phone's...they get hand me downs, they are kids - so it all works out.)

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For me on AT&T LTE unlimited plan its 500kpbs and upload is a lot faster than that.
    What carrier, plan and device are you using?