Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLee361

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Texas
Ok so I have my AT&T unlimited data plan and was wondering the best way to tether and/ or create a hotspot. Since we don't have a public jailbreak available what are my options? I also downloaded "pay up sucker" while it was still available which has a tethering Easter egg on it. I know the "tether" now has a html5 web based app but are those my only options for now?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So you want to use your Unlimited Data Plan, the one that AT&T specifically says you should not tether with, to tether? I just want to make sure I'm clear...

I am not aware of any method to accomplish what you are wanting to do that wouldn't be a violation of AT&T's terms of service. I really like my unlimited plan, and would hate to see it capped or cancelled if people start abusing it, just like they did with the iPhone.

Just sayin...

JLee361

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Texas
I'm not one of those "ridiculous" bandwidth users who tether and use their unlimited data plans as if it were their home Internet service.. I also have an unlimited iPhone plan but in case I need to use it sparingly for a little amount of time I was wondering what options I had. Trust me, if there's a chance my plan could get terminated by tethering I wouldn't even try, just asking what options there were.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm not one of those "ridiculous" bandwidth users who tether and use their unlimited data plans as if it were their home Internet service.. I also have an unlimited iPhone plan but in case I need to use it sparingly for a little amount of time I was wondering what options I had. Trust me, if there's a chance my plan could get terminated by tethering I wouldn't even try, just asking what options there were.

Even if there was a public jailbreak available, ATT can tell who's using their iPhone/iPad as a hotspot, and have taken action in the past against customers violating the TOS. ATT is reportedly going to make the personal hotspot available at some point (most likely because Verizon allowed it from day one), so I'd advise to just wait until then to try it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't think there is a chance your plan will be terminated. I think at&t will send you a warning text first, and then just switch you automatically to a tethering plan (in effect killing your unlimited data) on subsequent offenses.

Some people tether and don't get these text messages.

If enough people do this, then we can see a broader reaction. I needed to tether, so I got the 4GB plan (it's now 5) on my iPhone and tether using the built in iOS tethering feature. Even if AT&T comes out with a tethering option on the iPad I won't get it, because it will most certainly mean giving up my unlimited plan, and I'd rather not do that.

Sure, I could tether regardless, but I have a peculiar habit of abiding by the terms of service to the best of my ability. It's just a personality quirk of mine. Ignore me. :D

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I doubt they're enforcing the tethering switching anymore. Since they started throttling the unlimited plans at 3GB anyway. If you think you'd be using more than that total, their 5GB plan includes tethering.

JLee361

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Texas
It was my understanding that only iPhone unlimited data plans were throttled/capped at 3gb not the iPad unlimited data plans.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Ok so I have my AT&T unlimited data plan and was wondering the best way to tether and/ or create a hotspot. Since we don't have a public jailbreak available what are my options? I also downloaded "pay up sucker" while it was still available which has a tethering Easter egg on it. I know the "tether" now has a html5 web based app but are those my only options for now?

I you trying to use your iPad as a mobile hotspot? Because you can't as of now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.