AT&T Unlimited data plan + tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johnandjack, Mar 9, 2011.

1. johnandjack macrumors newbie

Since 4.3 was launched I would like to use Personal Hotspot with my iPad (since it's the Wi-Fi version). However, since I am on the grandfathered iPhone Unlimited data plan, I would have to forgo that plan and move to one of the Tethering plans that caps at 4GB...what a shame, AT&T!

Does anyone have a workaround to this? I really do not want to lose my Unlimited plan, and being capped at 4GB/month really defeats the purpose of tethering in the first place...

Cheers,
    John

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only way around it is by JB.
    You wont be able to have both unlimited and official tethering.

3. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

just jailbreak..don't give AT&T another 20 and give up to your unlimited plan...AT&T is getting kind of ridiculous.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

You would hope that competition between carriers would entice Verizon or AT&T to let data plan minutes be used for tethering without an additional fee.

It's so damn unfair not to be allowed to use the data I pay for the way I want.

JB here I come. Take that AT&T!

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Once you jb, you have 3 choices: tetherme, PDA net and mywi. Tetherme is enabling the hotspot for 4.3 jb and costs only a few dollars. PDA net is free for non-secured sites, but you get the pay version for the secured sites. MyWi is the most expensive, but it has ad-hoc tether and allows you to reduce the strength so you're not broadcasting to everyone.