AT&T unlimited data w/ new line.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frankied22, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So someone on here earlier said they got an unlimited data plan through AT&T by adding a new line and not having grandfathered unlimited. Has anyone else been able to do this? I'm thinking about calling up AT&T and telling them I want to get a 4S on a new line and see f they will give me unlimited.

2. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

AT&T doesnt offer unlimited data anymore, theres no way you can get it

3. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Um, apparently they do offer it again, only on the 4S. I've seen a couple of people asking, so I went and checked my account. Sure enough, I've got the iPhone 4S Data Pro Unlimited plan.

Maybe this is something they're only giving people that were grandfathered in (I was)? But others seem to indicate that they didn't have unlimited but were able to get it once they got their 4S.

I haven't seen a definitive answer yet.

4. zodiakp macrumors newbie

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Like you said, some apparently are given the option while others are not for AT&T's site

My fiancee upgraded and was not given that unlimited option (she didnt have unlimited previously) while friends of mine that upgraded (that also never had unlimited) were given the unlimited option and selected it.

Not really sure why

6. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

For some reason, ATT created a new Unlimited Data Plan, which everyone who is grandfathered will be automatically switched to. I haven't seen any difference (in use, sales text or quick scan of legal).

As far as people getting unlimited on a new line, it cuts 2 ways:
    1. ATT forgot to exclude the new plan to existing, grandfathered accounts. They may catch this at some point and either allow those (new) that have it to keep it or they may expire those plan subscriptions.
    2. ATT made this plan in reaction to Sprint having one, so the salespeople have an option to retain/switch customers. The fact that it's not advertised tells me that they prefer customers to use the tiered plans.

Question to be answered, has any existing TIERED plan customer gone into their ATT account online and switched it to the new unlimited?

Just my 2¢.

7. CmdrThor macrumors member

I am on 2GB and also got switched to a new 2GB plan. Someone in another thread said this is so we can access 14.4 Mbps HSPA+. I am guessing the reasoning is the same for unlimited.

Also, I just checked and I do not have the option to switch back to unlimited (nor would I really care to).

8. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I think I have proved this to not be the case.

I am using the sim card from my 4G which i have have for over a year, on a 4S, and have not changed plans or anything, and can access over 7Mbps (which I believe is the limit on non HSPA+ connection, right ?)