Carrier AT&T unlimited iPad SIM users, which hotspot devices work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BarryL, Oct 14, 2014.

1. BarryL macrumors 6502

I've read about people using the Evevate 4G LTE hotspot and Cradlepoint devices as hotspots. Are there other devices this is compatible with?

AT&T has a Unite, Unite Pro, Velocity, and Liberate. Maybe these devices tune some of the newer LTE bands?

Here's the reason I ask, my iPad 5 gets 4-5 bars at my house and when I move my SIM to the Elevate, it only tunes 1-2 bars of signal.

Anyone else using anything other than Elevate or Cradlepoint with their SIM?? I know an iPhone will work, but I'd like something where I can tether the signal without jailbreak.

2. ebika macrumors 6502

I was using the Elevate, but it had issues with overheating. I bought a nexus 5 and use that as a hotspot and more.

3. biosci macrumors 6502a

You put your iPad sim into a nexus?

4. BarryL thread starter macrumors 6502

The Elevate will run without the battery plugged in. I pulled my battery out, my Elevate has been on for weeks.

5. biosci macrumors 6502a

To add to this, I find it strange that some people caution against some tethering apps from jail broken iPads but say using hotspots is okay. Is there really a difference as to how ATT views this data usage?

6. BarryL thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure tethering on an unlimited iPad plan is technically against AT&T's TOS. Natively the hotspot function is not allowed on unlimited ipad plans. Of course jailbreak fixes this. For some reason these old unlimited grandfathers plans seem to fly under the radar at AT&T and don't get scrutinized for inserting their SIM card into other devices.

Just because tether is disabled on unlimited iPad plans doesn't mean the new iPad (with purchased data caps) plans won't allow tether or device swaps. Can't speek for those!

7. ebika macrumors 6502

Yeah. Works great!

----------

Good call. I was running it like that too. Occasionally it would stop passing data too. I mostly liked it, but it was flakey sometimes.

8. TECHNOLOGE macrumors member

The iPad ATT Data Unlimited Plans are handled by a different department VS iPhone Data Unlimited plan.

ATT iPad Data Unlimited Plan is handling by session based support,

iPhone Data Unlimited Plan is handling by general care, its handled differently.

I know for a fact it works in Unite and the Unite Pro, its simple its just a simple pop in the sim card and it will work by it self.

9. biosci macrumors 6502a

Could you use an Android (Unlocked) to act as a hotspot without worrying? Would you just need a special APN? I feel I have a bad ATT Unite Pro.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, let me get this straight. If I take the SIM out of and iPad with a UDP and put it in a Unite hotspot, it will work?

Interesting. I wonder what will happen with these new Apple SIMs. I bet those won't work.

11. biosci macrumors 6502a

Yes. It will work (using the appropriate SIM card adapter). I moved my unlimited plan to a nano sim so I need to use an adapter to make micro sim sized (one step larger). The adapters are super cheap and be found on eBay, Amazon etc...

I don't have an Apple sim so can't really comment on that right now, it sounds though like any carrier should be able to recognize and activate/use the sim.

----------

What I meant was that I read on these forums how it seems like using the unlimited plan on a hotspot was suggested even over using the iPad Jailbroken as a hotspot.

12. BarryL thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got my unlimited iPad plan on a SIM adapter to a Elevate hotspot. MyWi (required JB) works good, but can in unreliable at times. With a SIM card adapter, this Elevate works like a champ!

Just wonder if a newer generation AT&T hotspot (Unite or Unite Pro) gets a better LTE connection. I only get 1 bar at home and 6-8 MB connection with Elevate hotspot. In some cities I pull down 20MB on 2-3 bars with the Elevate.