AT&T Unlimited Mobile Plan - Resell value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saccento, Jan 16, 2017.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Now that AT&T is raising the cost of the unlimited data plans (again), I think it may be time to finally get rid of it. Are people still buying these unlimited data plans or is this a thing of the past? I'm weighing all options; keep or sell unlimited plan, switch to the mobile share plan, or switching carriers altogether. Thanks!

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't think selling an iPhone plan is the same as an iPad plan. You have to get someone to take over the contract (if one) and your phone number. Additionally, iPhone data plan is capped at 22GB while iPad is truly unlimited, so the value is much less.

3. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Oh, really? I was under the assumption you could just transfer the account. I didn't know it was capped at 22GB.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I believe there is a sort of assumption of liability or transfer of billing responsibility, or at least there used to be, with ATT wireless mobile plans, that you could do to preserve it for someone else. There was a process you had to follow, however, to ensure the UDP is not replaced with a TDP.

Even if not truly unlimited, still very valuable. Because it is a large amount of LTE usage you're entitled to from a major carrier that has serious nationwide coverage for one fixed price with no overage fees. And without requiring a DirecTV subscription. Plus, you can upgrade with Next without sacrificing it.

I hope you can transfer it.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So I just got an e-mail about this price hike today. :mad:

Attached Files:

• UD.png
      UD.png
      File size:
      186.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See it on the bright side.
    You get to cancel for free with no etf fees within 60 days.
    It's the best part of the email, you can move on and save yourself some money.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They just want to raise the prices to try and encourage people to move off the so called unlimited plans so they can charge more money on the capped plans.

This is why I have 4 10/GB lines on T-Mobile for $120. Each line has 10GB PLUS 20GB data stash so each line essentially has 30GB. The most I ever used on one line was 11GB in one night when I was tethering to my ATV because Comcast went down. I have never been throttled and never have to worry that I am using too much data. I even keep WiFi off on all four of the phones I use the sims on because I have so much data.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I wish you could use this to cancel all the contracts on your account, but still remain with AT&T, therefore I can jump ship when I want.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be nice but they're trying to mitigate their losses but they dont mind losing the grandfathered unlimited data users :)

11. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

So, did anyone here ditch their unlimited the last go around?

I'm strongly considering doing it, but I'm uncertain of exactly what order you do things in -- do you go and get service through someplace else, port your number, then call AT&T to cancel? Or do you cancel first then go get service?

Also, how does it work unlocking your phone? I'd want to just take my 6S+ with me wherever I go, so I'm assuming they won't unlock until you cancel.

12. Applejuiced, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When I did it I just called AT&T and had them make notations in my account.
    That those lines with the unlimited iphone data will be getting cancelled soon and ported over. According to their rules and messages that they send me the ETF will be removed so please enter that info in my account so I dont have to fight or argue with anyone.
    After that you will have to ask them to unlock the phone since you are out of contract and ported over. That was the hardest part and it took me over 2 weeks arguing and dozens of calls every day. I paid the final bill and they were still giving me the runaround not unlocking and making me enter online unlock requests that kept getting denied.
    So I hope you dont experience the same and they can unlock it for you faster and with less stress.
    Good luck.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did. Had unlimited on two iphone in my company and changed over to family share and our bill should go down almost $100 per month. We only using 5-7gb per month and the unlimited was going up again so I said goodbye!

It is just not worth it to me any more.

14. BearBert macrumors member

BearBert

You are not throttled, but you are deprioritized after 22GB. The difference being they may slow your speeds down once you reach the 22GB threshold, meaning if a cell-site is congested you won't have priority, but in most cases they don't slow you down. Since they implemented this I can honestly say I've experienced being deprioritized maybe twice, once for sure. And I'm a heavy user averaging 73GB a month in NYC.

With that said yeah the $5 increase sucks, but I really don't have much of a choice.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct, after you reach the soft cap you "may" get throttled if the particular cell tower is congested and only during peak times.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have only hit 22GB once and I was throttled for the rest of the billing cycle (time of day didn't matter). I'm located in suburban outskirts of Los Angeles, hardly a congested region. My younger sister is 'targeted' all the time. At least 4-5 times last year.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    When was that?
    I know they changed it a while ago.
    Before as soon as you hit the soft cap you were throttled till the end of the billing cycle no mater what cell tower you hit and it didn't matter what time or if congested or not.
    Now the FCC has put stricter rules to throttling and their so called "network optimization" policies.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Since the price change last March. She was hit 3 months in a row May, June and July. I was hit in October because I was traveling. I was stuck with 2G speeds for almost a solid week.

I wonder what happens now that the 2G network is gone.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    When I was on AT&T over a year ago and went over the soft cap I didn't get throttled and Im not really near a busy city or congested towers so not sure if that came to play.
    I heard they got rid of their 2G network but they will still throttle and slow LTE/HSPA+ speeds to unbearable speeds :)

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want to keep your number, you will need to port it first (to the new carrier). Porting the number closes the account, if it is single line. If it is multiple line, it will close that one line. If you close the account with AT&T first, you won't be able to port your number.