Carrier AT&T Unlimited Plan - No warning when approaching 5GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Aug 22, 2014.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I have a grandfathered AT&T Unlimited plan and rarely go over 5GB. I received a message when I got close last month. I went over on the last day of my billing cycle. I'm at 5.2GB for this month and haven't received a message. I didn't hear from them most of the other times that I've gone over. I'm going to check my when I'm not home tomorrow to see if it's being throttled.

Is it common to only receive a warning from them once in awhile?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, most of the time I don't get a warning either.
    But many times I also don't get throttled at exactly 5GB.
    Sometimes I go over a few GB's and still have full speed. Try a speedtest.
    If you're only getting 0.5mb down then you're throttled.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yep, no warnings for me. I've gone 6-9 gigs each month for the past 6 months and never got a warning. Just really slow speeds.

4. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

ATT will only give you one warning... After that for cycles going forward, you will just be throttled..

5. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

A couple of months back I did the technical help chat, because I was getting crazy slow data, I assumed a tower was down (that happens on occasion). After looking at the towers, and then my plan she said I was actually being throttled. I asked why I didn't get a notification and she said "You did get a notification, on Sept 14th". This seemed crazy since it was June. When I called her out on it, she explained further "Sept 14th, 2012. That is the only warning you will receive. Any time in the future you are throttled, you won't be notified you will just be throttled."
    I was obviously furious at this and called her out on it being unfair, deceptive, ect. I asked said it wasn't fair to not get a quick text notification every month when throttling starts. She said that wasn't within AT&T's capabilities. They could only send the initial message but their systems were never to set up to send a text every month an unlimited costumer was throttled.

I told her that was BS, because if they couldn't send the message every month they shouldn't be able to throttle and that it shouldn't be hard to have a program set up to send the txt when "throttle=on" occurs. And that it was BS that they couldn't send the message because when my wife on a 2gb plan gets a warning at1.7gb and at 2.0 gb, I know they can send it.

Basically the short story is a rep lied to me, telling me a monthly throttle notification warning was beyond their capabilities. AT&T is filled with liars and cheats and I plan to switch to Verizon prior to the iPhone 6S release. They may be no better, but AT&T is terrible and their speeds are slow even without throttling.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm not a AT&T fanboy but I'd have to disagree with this. Of course, different locations will have different results, but I've been pleased with AT&T's speeds for the most part. Took this one from a park near my house this month.

[​IMG]

However, just to show how big of difference their throttling makes, here was a test from the day before, same exact location, while I was being throttled. (My cycle resets on the 11th.)

[​IMG]

Pretty absurd. That's why I'm moving off their "unlimited" plan.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

ATT owes you no notice before you get throttled. If you get one consider it a bonus. Much depend on the market you are in and the bandwidth availability as I have gone way over the 5Gb limit and got no notice and no throttle. One month when the wireless was down at the house I did over 9Gb and ATT had no problem with it.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow.

ATT did not even have to send the first message. They did send it for those people that did not know about such a thing. Once you were notified, they assume you are smart enough to remember.

Fair?
    Deceptive?
    Not buying that at all.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sales reps and customer support folks don't always have a lot of options. I'm sure AT&Ts system is CAPABLE of sending a text when you're getting throttled, but the person you were talking to most likely didn't have the ability to set it up.

Verizon is going to treat you the same way, and you're not going to get unlimited if you're just starting a new plan.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

AT&T has been lying about all aspects of their throttling policy since the beginning and that's why the FCC is questioning them about it. That being said, it's pointless to discuss it with a rep as they are just trained to give you a canned response.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

This thread is pointless. You mean the OP can't just dial *3282# on his phone??? Or even better download a data tracking app??? Your that lazy that you need AT&T to remind you??? Wow.

12. iMas70, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This throttling thing is like going to an all you can eat buffet then being told that you can only have Tic Tacs after you fill your plate twice.

My non-throttled speeds are usually good. Anywhere from 25-50 Mbps. Sometimes higher.

I have a 5GB plan for my iPad. I received a message today that said I'm at 65% of that. So I can get a message for that but not one for being throttled.

I've thought about giving up the unlimited plan. Their 10GB plan would be fine and maybe even a little cheaper. Then those very rare times that I might go over that, I could always bump it up for the month. I've never gone over 8GB total between both devices. I think that's what AT&T wants use to do. Get tired of being throttled and give up the plan that they no longer offer.

Edit - Just found an e-mail from them for my iPad! That was two notifications. Maybe because they would be charging me more money if I go over 5GB and no additional charge for the phone to go over.

Update on Data Use Dear xxx xxxxxxxx,

Courtesy Message - Keeping track of the data used on your mobile (xxxxxxxxxx) is easy. Here are some tools to track data use:

• Go to for data plan options
    • Download the free myAT&T app for smartphones*
    • Or, dial *DATA# (*3282#)

So far, you've used 3328.0 MB of data for this billing period.

If all of the data is used before the next billing period which begins on 08/27/2014, your data service won't be interrupted. We'll automatically add 1 GB (1024 MB) of data for $10.

Thank you,

AT&T

13. iMas70, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lazy? Um... no. I actually check it daily :) It's the point of it. I received a message last night and was expecting to see one this month. Checked last night and saw that I was at 5.2GB. No message.

One other thing, I found that I can still stream YouTube without a problem.

Attached Files:

14. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

How is any of that relevant now??? AT&T started this in October 2011. Perhaps your several years late to the table.

15. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't go over 5GB much. Once I used just over 7GB, no text and I wasn't throttled. That was 1-2 years ago. Another time, I barely went over and received a message and then received one last month when I was getting close. This is the first time that I didn't receive a message and was throttled.

16. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

yes, over the years i've received a warning or two, I've been throttled right at 5 and i've been allowed to get to 6 or more without throttling. There is no rhyme or reason to it for me.
    It may have to do with how busy the tower is that I'm hitting. it does seem like it should be computer monitored and driven, but with all of the different ways that they react, I'm not sure.

17. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Looks like they've got that covered now:

Attached Files:

18. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I like however I'm getting people trolled when explaining my story and trying to give some insight into what you will be told if you call and complain.

Yes, they don't have to provide a notice. Yes, they don't have to provide a notice each month. But, the fact that they have such a lame excuse to not provide a notice is susceptible. They are a huge compnay with million (billions?) of dollars in resources. To say they don't know how to send a message when throttling starts is simply a lie or laziness on their part.

And yes, I know Verizon is the same but I'm not staying with ATT just because Verizon is just as bad. One of the metrics the companies use to gage customers happiness is churn, and if I can contribute to making that even slightly worse for ATT I will.

And my unthrottled speed is 4.0ish MbPs.

19. chupachup macrumors 6502

IOS has long way to go. They should copy this from Android too.

[​IMG]

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

21. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use WiFi while I'm at home.

I'd like to be able to use what I origionally signed up for. Unlimited, in throttled data. But that's another thread :)

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

We dropped unlimited on two iphones - never needed it.
    We also dropped plans on two ipads since we can now tether.

Saved lots of money - well over $1,000 a year.

the only STUPID thing I have done with all this was to keep paying for unlimited that I did not need, but kept it out of principle. Stupid me. Stupid me. Stupid me.

23. 617aircav Suspended

How do use more WiFi?

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The poster was suggesting using more WIFI vs over the air/cellular.

For example - my daughters cell data started to climb and did not know why. Turns out her work changed the wifi or something and she was using cell data while at work, vs their wifi. She then reconfigured the wifi for work and all is well again.