AT&T Unlimited Plans will be no more.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stealthipad, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Stealthipad, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

AT&T Unlimited plans are already gone with 3G unless you are grandfathered. And those that are grandfathered will eventually have to give it up anyway. If you want tethering, you have to give it up. If you want to go to LTE, you'll have to give it up.

My hunch is that when Verizon announces their iPhone data rates/plans, the unlimited option will either be gone or cost more than their current unlimited plan, which is $30/mo. And even so, it probably won't last for long even if they do keep it, given the strain all of these iPhones is going to put on their network.

Unfortunately, the days of unlimited data over wireless is gone. And the complete failure of Net Neutrality means there will be no remedy for the foreseeable future.

4. Cha macrumors regular

Yep this is nothing new... Unfortunately more and more companies like Virgin Mobile got rid of the "Unlimited" plan. I do believe eventually the "unlimited" aspect will come back after a few years. Unfortunately this is the way companies are trying to recover some of the costs associated with the new infrastructure.

The topic of net neutrality addresses something totally different than unlimited data plans... Now that's definitely a path companies should not venture to.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, you mean we actually need to pay for what you use. I can see why people will be upset. :rolleyes:

6. theLimit, Jan 23, 2011

theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It isn't the lack of unlimited plans that bothers me, but the lack of any plan with a useful allowance of data. I'm only on WiFi at home, so the 2GB plan is nearly useless. I'd like to see carriers add 5, 10, and 20 GB/month plans, ranging from $20 to $50 per month.

A tiered pricing model is not a bad thing, as long as the tiers are useful combinations of speed/amount of data. Monthly plans offering 200MB@20Mbps would be worthless. I'd love to see 20GB@20Mbps monthly plans by the end of the year.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Well my unlimited plan is going strong, but as someone else said when AT&T gets LTE they will prob make u get rid of it if u want LTE. I'll check to see my last couple years to see if I want to get rid of my unlimited early, but it still pisses me off that I have a limit.

9. bossxii, Jan 23, 2011

bossxii macrumors 68000

I'm still enjoying my unlimited data plan with AT&T but I'm sure it will eventually end. I rarely even touch the soft cap of 5gigs other than during the NCAA basketball tourney in March, then I stream plenty of BB via Slingplayer app. It eats about 250/300mb per hour at current data speeds on the iPhone 4/iPad which streams just shy of 900kbps which is the cap on my upload from my cable internet provider. Tuesday that will change moving ISP's to a 25/5 package that may greatly impact my Slingplayer usage, I'll have to monitor it a bit to see.

I don't think AT&T is going to kick those of us on the "grandfathered" plan off it anytime soon. Competition will keep them in check, I don't foresee losing this unlimited plan for at least a year or so until the switch to LTE happens.

10. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

ATT is very good at grandfathering plans--let's hope that doesn't change in the future. :)

12. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I expect the unlimited plans will last for as long as 3G data options exist- but when att begins offering their 4G service, and the iPhone is updated to support it, I expect the only 4G sub options will be capped.

I'm really plenty happy with the 3G data rates I'm getting in my area - so 4G is note really an issue/want for me yet. I hope there is a way to limit newer phones to 3G.

Does anyone know how it works today with 4G compatible phones & networks? Can you turn off 4G like we can 3G on the current iPhones?

13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yep, crank it up baby. I stream videos all the time that go unwatched.... because I can.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Huh? AT&T already has tiered data plans, that article is just about them extending them to their LTE network. No change at all in their policy.

They went to tiered 200mb/2gb data plans almost a year ago. The only people with unlimited plans on their iPads are people who signed up for it in the first month or two and subsequently never let it drop.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed. This idea that the general public is to blame is comical.

Data usage in general is skyrocketing upwards and big companies see that so they are rushing to low caps to get as much from penalties/overages as they can

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is so incorrect I don't know where to begin.

18. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

A few abused it?

If I pay $xx.xx for unlimited 3g....there is nothing I can do to abuse it. I paid for it. By paying for unlimited plans, you are paying for future use of your 3G. Use it as much as you want. You already paid for it :)

19. LoganT macrumors 68020

I wish AT&T would put in a 30 dollar a month 5 GB plan. 2GB for 20 is just too low.