Carrier AT&T unlimited price increase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lulla01, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

2. crouch macrumors newbie

If you're under contract, doesn't this mean that the terms have changed, and therefore you can break the contract?

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Won't change if you're under contract

And seriously... it's $5. If $5 is a huge deal to someone, they shouldn't own a cell phone in the first place.

T-Mobile has been actively increasing their unlimited data plan prices for the last two or so years, yet no one says a damn thing about that. AT&T raises it $5 and hell freezes over?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Companies can't change what they charge for their service or products? This happens all the time and has been happening since the dawn of bartering or monetary systems with pretty much any product or service from pretty much any company or individual.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Your price won't change until after the contract ends.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm very glad I decided to get another contract in September so I should be protected from this price increase(unless there is something in the contract which says they can do this--I certainly don't read it!). However, a $5 increase isn't that big of a deal.

Then again, perhaps AT&T's strategy will be to raise it a little more each year.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I did the same in October after Verizon jacked up their UDPs to $50.

On the positive side, I think I'm one of those people whose Nation 450 plans was silently updated to unlimited. It still shows a "minute meter" on the site, but when I dig into my plan details, it says I have unlimited minutes.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yep, my minutes were upgraded to unlimited as well so that was a nice bonus. Perhaps with the price increase AT&T will now allow tethering? (VERY wishful thinking I know)

At any rate, I just love how the carriers trumpeted how great the end of contracts were and that customers would be "set free". Now it turns out contracts protect you and can save you from price increases--at least until the contract ends.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

So when you log on, do you still see minutes getting deducted from a rollover minutes balance? That's why I find odd. AT&T's website clearly says I have "unlimited" minutes when I did into the plan data, though it still says I'm on a Nation 450, and it shows a current monthly allotment plus rollover minutes balance from which non-WiFi calls are being deducted. The same shows up when I send a message to *646# to check my minutes balance. That's what's odd.

10. crouch macrumors newbie

Be careful. I'm on the same plan as you, and I've had two months of talk overages already. I've had to call AT&T twice now to get them removed. On AT&T's site, yes, it does say I have unlimited minutes, but the minute meter still shows 450, as does my bills.

From what I understand, you've only been truly upgraded if you've received a text stating so.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I have the feeling that they CAN change the price even when under contract and that they will allow people to change or leave without penalty.. think about it, every with a UDP is somehow under contract at this point - most likely, having upgraded at least once in the past two years.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

OK, how did you get the overages removed? I still have plenty of rollover minutes, but they'll be expiring over the next few months. Oddly, last month I couldn't even change the plans if I wanted to, since it was saying there was a "pending upgrade." When my cycle rolled over yesterday the pending upgrade message dropped, but the minute meter stayed. Hopefully eventually I get the text message. I've had AT&T since about 2005. People getting the texts tended to be AT&T customers for about 10 years or more.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

I actually was not under contract as I had been buying unlocked phones for a while. I decided to buy and flip a contract phone just to re-up. I doubt very seriously they will let a customer walk over a $5 increase over the length of a contract. That's $120 tops assuming someone re-ups at the last possible minute before the price increase takes effect.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its not the $5 - its the precedent that it sets.

What if they decide to raise it $5 every 3-6 months? Now its not just $5.

15. crouch macrumors newbie

The first month I called customer service, the second I called retention (I was seriously contemplating leaving for T-Mobile after hearing that so many Nation 450 customers had been upgraded, but I hadn't. I really need a plan with unlimited minutes and data.)

The first month I received a credit for my overage, and the second I received 1000 free rollover minutes to cover the overage. What's frustrating is that the woman I spoke to claimed multiple times that she had upgraded me to 1000 minutes per month (at my current price) but I don't see that anywhere online. Also, neither rep could tell me just who gets upgraded to unlimited, or why--they just don't seem to know.

They seem pretty reasonable and friendly about correcting for overages, I have to say. That said, I don't understand why the website tells us "unlimited minutes" when we're clearly not receiving that!

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I got 1000 rollover minutes last year when I threatened to move to Sprint when they were running their half-price promotion. As it turns out, I didn't need them and they expired over the weekend. That said, I'm using Wi-Fi calling as much as possible to boost my rollover minute total.

Exactly. Particularly when people are actually getting upgraded.

17. crouch macrumors newbie

Okay, so this is really annoying: I can't turn on Wi-Fi calling! It was an option on my phone for a bit, and now it's gone, and I can't figure out why. From what I understand, the option should be under Settings>>Phone, but it's not there.

I'm baffled.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's no need for a precedent, they have always been able to do it, just simply haven't.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

The big question for those of us with FAN discounts: Will the new $35 be included in FAN discounts. Currently, I get 24% off data plans. So I pay a little less than $24 a month.

Will ATT let us continue discounting data plans. Many probably don't remember. But ATT used to let me discount my family texting plans by 24% as well. So I never paid the full $30/family text ($20 family text with retentions). They also used to let me upgrade every month (no kidding, they stopped allowing this circa 2007). It was unbelievable I could get full subsidy upgrade every month with each line.

20. KPOM, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

KPOM macrumors G5

Well, I guess I was wrong. The price increase is for everyone with UDPs. However, those on contract can cancel without an ETF within 60 days of the price increase.

https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...Q-uO8bbkLeFvTtY6bDnOR2rg#!/wireless/KM1064176

So no benefit for re-upping my contract (apart from the margin I made on flipping the subsidized phone). Anyway, I'm not going to be switching any time soon. Assuming my FAN discount stays in place, my plan will increase $3.75 and I'll still be paying less than $75.

That's where it should be. Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me recently with NumberSync (I'm using the iOS 9.2 public beta). When Beta 2 came out, I was able to activate NumberSync and initiate calls, etc. from another device (even when the phone was out of range). Then suddenly it disappeared and only the "regular" Continuity option appeared. Check to make sure LTE is set to voice and data. That is under cellular.

21. crouch macrumors newbie

Ah, figured it out after calling AT&T: Wi-Fi calling is a feature for the iphone 6s only at this point. So strange that I saw the option to turn it on once upon a time (I have the 5s.)

22. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

iPhone 6 and up.

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

With my FAN, I've only been paying $21.90 for the unlimited. Now it will be $24.50ish. Not a huge increase.

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You have 60 days to cancel with no ETF.

25. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

iPhone 6 and up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.