AT&T Unlimited SMS and MMS Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TXCraig, Jun 14, 2009.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

So, since I have unlimited SMS and MMS from AT&T for 20.00 per month, and AT&T does not have MMS working by Friday, does that mean I can call AT&T and get my 20.00 per month refunded until they get it working?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

no because SMS still works....

3. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I did one better-cancelled my family text plan for $30/month and got textfree from the App. store.

It is about 90% reliable, so it is good enough for me. (I am not in high school and sending 5000 texts a month).

Hopefully with 3.0 textfree will get push and then it will be like 100% reliable.

Incidentally, am I the only one in the whole world who thinks charging for text messages is highway robbery? The text message is sent on a packet that the phone and the system constantly send to each other to "keep on the network". The data is flowing anyway. A text message just piggybacks on data already being exchanged. To charge for it is to imply it costs the carriers money to handle it, which it does not.

Can't believe this doesn't seem to bother more people.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Oh believe me, it bothers mostly everyone. It's just been beat to death over the past two years so you won't see as many threads about it.

It's even worse for people using AT&T cuz we get charged for incoming messages.

5. superxero3 macrumors regular

sorry to hijack, but how does textfree work? i have heard a lot about it in the past 2 weeks and i am curious as to how it works.

I assumed it was a simple way to send email through an SMS gateway to be recieved as an SMS, but the way people have been talking about it.. it sounds much much better than that.

6. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

God are you right about that. And since you can't refuse a text message (like you can a phone call) this seems particularly onerous. Especially with the 20 cent a la carte text fee.

So I have all texting blocked on my account :)

I qualify for a 3GS at subsidized price on 7/19 but I am going to pass. By that time next year I could be on a whole new carrier :)

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

It is basically an internet based SMS that sends to the receiving carrier as a normal SMS. It also returns their replies directly to your phone (or iPod Touch) via internet.

Pros:

FREE Unlimited texting

Cons:

People can't send to you first. They can only reply.

Doesn't support push (yet) so if application or phone go inactive, you get an email notification of your text.

I have been using for about a month. It is clearly not perfect but to save $30 a month I will live with it.

Also the publisher is promising a dedicated "number" that other people can send texts to you first. Also coming is push when 3.0 goes final. Supposedly this upgrade is imminent. Course it has to get through the app store censors...

8. superxero3 macrumors regular

wow that's actually pretty solid.. that would be cool if it got push and a dedicated text number!

9. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

You can actually download a "lite" version from the App store for free. Limits you to 15 text messages per day, but you can at least get a feel for how it works.

The paid version offers a few enhancements the primary one I can think of is landscape texting.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

paying 5.99 for the app is well worth the cost.

I am stoked to see what they have in store for the newest update.

11. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I was actually working on an app EXACTLY the same as that a few months before this was released. I had to stop due to not having enough time. Looked like I missed my fortune.

12. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

textplus is completely free with pretty much the same functionality. But yes, I agree, charging for texts is robbery. If I do get texting when I get my 3GS it'll just be the $5 plan.

13. billyb1122 macrumors newbie

AT&T unlimited SMS Plan

Does anyone know exactly how many SMS messages you can send with the "unlimited" plan? I am sure it's not really unlimited.
    .bb.