At&t unlock approved instructions ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

my unlock request was approved , the instructions say I have to backup & restore the phone
    Or change sim

I don't have another sim and plan to use at&t for a while longer before I switch to T-Mobile , do I really need to restore my iPhone for the unlock to work ?

2. ray737 macrumors regular

I was just about to post this same exact question. I am ditching AT&T and moving to T-Mobile unlimited next month. AT&T is telling me I will have to use iTunes then restore but then I am also hearing that all you have to do now is just put in your new SIM card.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You do not need to restore. Its an immediate 'activation'. As soon as you received the confirmation you can install a new SIM and it will work.

4. DaveOP macrumors 65816

The restore will pull the next activation profile, and permanently unlock your phone. When you restore, you'll get a "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked". The poster above me might be right about it being immediate, but you'll know 100% by doing a restore.

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I second this. After T-Mobile unlocked my iPhone, I was able to use a Cricket SIM.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Who cares if you get the pop-up saying "Congratulations...." lol As long as it works and you don't have to waste an hour of your day storing and possibly setting up an Apple Watch.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know why the carriers keep pushing restores, but the only difference between that and just putting a new SIM in the phone is that you do not get the 'Congratulations' message.

The activation ticket is pushed to the device and applied OTA. No restore necessary.

8. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I certainly don't care either, just answering his question. My post does not disagree with yours or anyone elses in any way. Thanks for taking the time to respond with your valuable insight.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, to be fair your post makes it sound like a restore is needed to pull the activation profile and make the unlock permanent, when it seems like it's all already done as soon as the unlock actually happens, regardless of any restore or anything like that. In a sense knowing 100% would essentially be using a different SIM and actually making sure it works (since even doing a restore and getting a "Congratulations" message doesn't really check that last part of actually successfully using a different SIM, even if it basically implies it).

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A full restore was needed before but for years now it's not needed and it's pointless.
    Put the new carriers sim, it will take you to the activation screen and phone will work with the new company.
    No need to download a big .ipsw file, backup, restore, sync your things back etc...
    Total waste of time.

11. ray737 macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. It's about time they made this process easier!

12. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I had mine "unlocked" and it didn't actually unlock until I restored. I tried multiple sims from overseas and they didn't work until I restored and got the congrats message. About two weeks later I got a factory unlocked replacement device after breaking my screen.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Was it an iPhone 3GS?
    Cause since iOS 7 a restore is not needed. As long as the device connects to wifi or carrier data to get passed the activation process then it doesn't need iTunes.

14. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

It is a 6. I tried that and it didn't work. It took multiple calls to AT&T and when I finally restored it, the unlock worked. This was just last month. Not saying what you're saying isn't possible, but it wasn't the case for me..

15. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This is more of the process I was used to. Worked previously at the Apple Store, and had to do this with plenty of customers. If the process is more streamlined now, that's terrific, and a much needed change. 100% of the customers who did a restore were unlocked, so it was easier than trying to call the carrier and find the right person to verify. I am glad that all of the posters are trying to avoid a "total waste of time", but I suggested a method that will work as a last resort. A restore does not have to take that long, maybe 10 minutes if you're prepared and have a good connection.

16. imlynxy macrumors 65816

A full restore is not needed. I unlocked plenty of them. It is better to turn off , swap SIM and turn on.

17. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I never turned off or reset. Maybe that's why it didn't go through for mine prior to restoring.

18. itsray macrumors 6502

i did this a few weeks ago. i followed the instructions and it worked. i used a old sprint sim with no service to test it out.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like all the previous tries that failed att didn't really unlock it and they blamed it on you not doing a full restore instead.
    I know for a fact a full restore is not needed any more.

20. ray737 macrumors regular

I just finally got my iPhone unlocked from AT&T. Just inserted new T-Mobile SIM card. No more using iTunes to complete unlocking process. Very easy now.

21. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Did it with a 5S through AT&T, easy process.