AT&T Unlock Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jawnathin, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

I applied to get my new 7 Plus unlocked from AT&T. They approved the request this morning, but I had a question on the instructions. Here is what they sent...

I don't plan on transitioning out of AT&T, I just requested the unlock because I wanted to be sure the phone I bought wasn't stuck on some installment plan and when I travel internationally I can pop in a local carrier SIM.

So that said, I currently don't have a non-AT&T SIM Card, so I can't use the non-AT&T SIM instructions. I have an AT&T SIM Card but do I really have to back up, erase, and restore the phone? Could I just pop in the new SIM when I need it?

Thanks.

2. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

Follow the instructions for using the AT&T SIM card. Back the phone up using iTunes (complete backup, not just data), factory reset it and perform a restore via iTunes. Once the process is complete, iTunes will display a message, stating that your phone is now unlocked.

3. Jawnathin thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks, I'll do that when I get home then. Kind of a bummer to do it again because I literally just got it completely up and running yesterday.

4. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

It's definitely a small price to pay for the peace of mind, knowing that you can just insert a local SIM card when you land in a foreign country and immediately connect to the local service provider.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You can use the non AT&T instructions when you land in a foreign country and obtain the new Sim card. No need to go through the AT&T instructions at all.

6. Jawnathin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks both of you. I ended up doing the reset and it is restoring the phone now. Hopefully its gets back to exactly where it was before I erased (synced with my Watch and all that). I did get the unlock confirmation in iTunes as noted earlier. Thanks again

[​IMG]