Carrier At&t & unlocked iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swannyj, Sep 2, 2017.

1. swannyj macrumors newbie

I will be switching from at&t iPhone 6 Plus to the 7 plus. Although will stay with At&t I would prefer to purchase unlocked,entire price, from Apple. What At&t features will be lost if I purchase the unlocked.

2. gurase macrumors regular

None. In fact the sim free 7+ will work on all carriers while the AT&T variant of the 7+ only works on AT&T and T-Mobile.

3. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

You don't have to be on a contract and you can go on a prepaid plan for less money and more data.

4. swannyj thread starter macrumors newbie

Since switching to the unlocked iPhone I am not able to get text transmission for voice mail. I have not found a solution & assume AT&T does not provide this service for unlocked phones. Would love to be proven wrong!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Thanks, worth looking in to as my only other option for internet service is satellite. Needless to say it cost a small fortune.

5. gurase macrumors regular

I can’t remember where I saw it posted, but someone was having issues activating visual voicemail on AT&T with a sim free iPhone. AT&T did something with their IMEI in their system which fixed it right up. I’m sure they’ll be willing to help if you ask.

FWIW, I use a sim free iPhone on Cricket (AT&T) and voicemail transcription works fine.

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502