Carrier AT&T & Unlocked Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukin, Sep 11, 2014.

1. lukin macrumors regular

I will be purchasing the full price phone from Apple for the first time. Can someone fill me in on the process to get this phone to replace my existing iPhone on my at&t plan without changing any plan details?

Perhaps is easier than I'm thinking, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. inthecup macrumors regular

Oooops apple will not be offering a full price phone to be used in the Att network ... 2 options wait 2 months for Att to offer it or sign up for Att Next

3. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Yes indeed, I missed that.

Does at&t allow a way to pay the balance of the phone off to remove the monthly installment payment?

4. inthecup macrumors regular

Yes they do after 2 months

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've read their policy and it looks like they allow full device payoff any time. However, you have to wait at least 2 months before you can pay off the 12/18-month balance in order to do a Next 12/18 trade-in.

6. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

And then can you request that the iPhone be unlocked after you pay it off?

7. has.marvel macrumors member

According to a chat I had with AT&T rep this morning, they will be offering full price pre orders tomorrow. Who knows if that is correct but.....

8. Anti.Hero macrumors member

Anti.Hero

I just talked to my Apple Store this morning. You can purchase a full priced AT&T phone (contract-free) from the Apple Store at launch, it just won't be "unlocked". I'm taking this route to keep my $15 per line plan, if I buy on contract that would change to $40 for 24 months, which ends up costing more than buying the phone for full retail price.

9. inthecup macrumors regular

It's not there yet

10. Anti.Hero macrumors member

Anti.Hero

It will not be on the Apple website. You have to purchase it in store.

11. UmichAg macrumors member

Any chance to do this via pre-order in person or do you have to do this on launch day?