Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced the debut of a new DirecTV-branded streaming television service, DirecTV Now, which will include various channel bundles at prices ranging from $35 to $70. Packages will include live sports, on-demand content, premium channels, and popular shows.

directvnow-800x325.jpg

DirecTV Now will be available starting on November 30, and will give customers the chance to sign up for four different bundles:

- Live a Little - $35 / month (60+ channels)
- Just Right - $50 / month (80+ channels)
- Go Big - $60 / month (100+ channels)
- Gotta Have it - $70 / month (120+ channels)

Customers can check out any of the above packages for free for seven days from the DirecTV Now website, and to celebrate the launch of the service, the "Go Big" package is available for $35 per month for a limited time. Premium channels like HBO and Cinemax can be added to a package for an additional $5 per channel.

On its November 30 launch date, DirecTV Now will be available on both iOS devices and the Apple TV through a dedicated app. AT&T is even offering a special Apple TV deal, giving customers a free Apple TV with the purchase of three months of pre-paid DirecTV Now service.

On its November 30 launch date, DirecTV Now will be available on both iOS devices and the Apple TV through a dedicated app. It will also be available via the web and on Android and Amazon devices.

Along with DirecTV Now, AT&T also announced two additional video streaming services, "FreeView" and "Fullscreen."

FreeView is an ad-supported offering that allows customers to watch some DirecTV television content free of charge, while Fullscreen, which actually debuted earlier this year, is an on-demand streaming service that offers select TV shows and movies aimed at young adults for $5.99 per month.

For AT&T Mobility customers, data used while watching DirecTV Now, FreeView, and Fullscreen in their respective apps will be free while on the AT&T mobile network.

Article Link: AT&T Unveils 'DirecTV Now' Streaming Television Service

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Would love an option to choose my channels a la carte, instead--no bundles! Wasn't Steve Jobs and Apple working on this year's ago?

Reactions: asrai

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Would love an option to choose my channels a la carte. Wasn't Apple working on this?
I agree. I just want around ten channels for a reasonable price, not all the garbage channels I'll never watch.

Also, what about DVR services? 4K content? There will no doubt be extra fees. This is going to get expensive, just like cable is today.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Perfect way to get TV on your mobile device if you're with AT&T. Streaming from DirecTV Now is free on AT&T devices.

I wonder how much is free though? I can't just cut my TV service, then stream all my TV from my phone to my Apple TV? I'm sure AT&T will put restrictions on it soon.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I agree. I just want around ten channels for a reasonable price, not all the garbage channels I'll never watch.

You're not going to get that, just yet. All the big players are still holding on to their old models and won't cave that easily.

The number of channels will drop substantially if channels aren't bundled anymore.

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
What's the upside here? Cord-cutters still have a "cord" in that they need internet and will subscribe to DirectTV (a content provider, that's essentially a cable company.) Seems like all this does is get around FCC regulations but in the end you have the same thing—a set top box and a monthly subscription. What's the difference between that and cable?

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
I think these tv services are overplaying their hand.

This is way too expensive for what I'm prepared to pay. And I'm picking in not alone.

These tv/film execs need to sharpen up, or risk being dropped by the wayside.

So much this!

Sling Basic is 21 and I dont watch half the crap on there. Why do i want to pay $10+ more and have even more crap i dont want to watch.

Sorry, Not cutting it there AT&T. Improvement needed before I consider dropping sling.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
DirecTV is basically dropping their service of getting the signal to you - no satellite dishes, no receivers, no dvrs, no installation at your house, much less support because you're using all your own hardware.

YOU are paying for your own internet costs to get the service to you.

And DirecTV is just giving you a discount of approx. $50/month for you to do this. How much does your internet service cost? $50 or more? It seems like a wash or a bad deal.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
What's the upside here? Cord-cutters still have a "cord" in that they need internet and will subscribe to DirectTV (a content provider, that's essentially a cable company.) Seems like all this does is get around FCC regulations but in the end you have the same thing—a set top box and a monthly subscription. What's the difference between that and cable?

Uh... mobile? Right now with my Directv I can only watch on the mobile if I'm on the same Network as my "cable box". This doesn't need it. No contract. No RENTED Equipment.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Not much. But Apple TV is a better set top box than what the cable companies give you. User interface on App might be better. Also you can stream all over the house and to all your devices. And it might be $10 per month cheaper than "cable".

Reactions: chrisbru

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502

WRONG!, by cord cutting I can watch my tv with the device I have most often and the device with the most access. My Phone. I am not at home and not sleeping MAYBE 12 hours a week. Most of those hours are related to life's necessities.

Reactions: M. Gustave

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
This website link doesn't work, and the link to the deal requires a login password. Is anyone able to actually view this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.