Carrier AT&T Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by custom24, Sep 7, 2016.

1. custom24 macrumors newbie

custom24

Hi everyone.
    So I understand that there's no longer 2 year contracts- bummer. Here's what I'm used to, I'd LOVE any thoughts on the best way forward.

In the past, I pay $300 for a new phone, get the contract/subsidy, give my wife my old phone, and then sell her old one. By the time I recoup her old phone I've only spent around $50. Not too shabby. However, with the new program I feel like I'll be paying an extra $30ish a month for my phone and then at the end of the year if I want a new phone I have to give my old one back, right? Meaning my wife no longer gets a new (to her) phone. Which means if I want whatever new phone out AND I want my wife to have my old one I have to keep the current phone at $30ish a month for another year AND get a new Next plan for an additional $30ish a month for my new phone- so now an extra $60ish a month!!

Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Thanks everyone! :)

2. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat. Thinking of selling my 6s+ and buying a 7+ outright. $400ish delta.

3. defboob macrumors member

you got it right, it's how it works now. You have the AT&T plan, and you have the cost of the phones on top of that. Each phone via ATT Next is setup in monthly payments until its paid off. If you keep it 12 months you can then trade it in, otherwise pay the remaining balance and you get to keep both (and do what you want with the older one)

The days of what you were used to doing are over, sorry.

4. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Thanks Def. Yeah same boat also. I bought the 6+, pre-ordered that and didn't have to go through some "Pay 30-40 bucks a month - on top of the plan i choose (?)" Either that or plop down 870 bucks not including tax.

I was lucky and able to keep the unlimited plan going back to 2007, paid for the phone right off the bat..but yeah I forgot about that darn Next Program. This is all new to me. Ugh, I just dropped a boat load of money on township school taxes today... this is some 1st World Problem type of nonsense. :eek:

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7#

5. keeganxt macrumors regular

Same boat here. Should I assume I can just go to apple.com tomorrow night and do the preorder and it will automatically take me from my existing 2year subsidized contract to an ATT next, etc deal without issue? Or is this something that I should do at the AT&T store before doing the pre-order?

6. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

I had the same concern because I'm in the same situation. I spoke wit a rep earlier tonight and she told me that since I'd be coming from a 2 year contract, I should be able to sign up for one of the new Next plans without any problems during my pre-order process. That just seems too easy to believe, so I honestly don't know the route I'm planning to take.
    I do know that I want the 7 Plus 128g. Don't know if I really want to shell out that full price though.
    I'd have some peace in selling my 6 Plus (Or trading it in) but websites are offering low now that the new one has been announced. I think Gazelle only offered at most $192.

7. calvy macrumors 65816

After a year, you don't necessarily have to give the phone back to AT&T. You can pay off the remainder of the balance, which will likely be around that $300 mark you used to pay up front for the new phone. Give old phone to the wife, then sign up for a new one under the payment plan of your choice.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

From what I've been able to view on the apple website, apple.com/iphone states; "Carrier financing also available: Available in store only."

Based on this, I'm going to assume we will need to either order through att.com or stand in line on the day of release to make sure the next program is able to be used.

9. radioking macrumors regular

The in store only is referring to T-Mobile, you can get AT&T Next through the Apple website.

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Oh, perfect! Thanks for that!

11. pdxmatts, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I want to add that ATT Mobile Share plans and the Next Installment program are two different things. Mobile share is the (data, talk, text) plan, Next is just buying your phone with interest free monthly installments. So, you can stay on the plan you have if you want and use Next when you check out at pre order. In regards to trade in, Apple is offering $250 for a 6 Plus towards the purchase of a new iPhone. http://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-up/

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.22.35 PM.png

12. keeganxt macrumors regular

Yeah, I still have the unlimited* data plan from years ago, been riding on that for a while. So I should just need to jump from the 2year subsidized contract over to NEXT and start doing installments.

13. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

if I wanted to get a new 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus ($869):

- keep current unlimited data, grandfathered, plan ($90) and pay ATT Next an extra $36 a month for the phone: $126 / month
    - switch to new plan and sign up for 10 GB of data, I average between 8-9 GB a month ($100) and an extra $36 a month for the phone: $136 / month

either way my cost is going up. for my current iPhone 6 I paid $400 upfront, and if divided by the 24 months that I've had it, I technically paid an extra $17 a month. so my previous monthly charge was really $107. if I want the new iPhone 7 Plus it will cost me an extra $19 a month.

14. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Which version is the truly unlocked GSM/cDma phone? I was planning on buying the "ATT" version full price unlocked tonight but I hear it's only GSM unlocked?

15. keeganxt macrumors regular

I believe what macrumors posted was the ATT and T-Mobile phones are incapable of working on any cdma network at all, but the Verizon and sprint phones will work on both.

16. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

Glad i'm sitting this out this year. i'm curious to see how it goes down for some of you since i am in the same unlimited data plan boat.

17. Platyrrhine macrumors newbie

Seem to be in the same boat. Just wanting to make sure...if I were to buy an iPhone 7 plus on Apple tonight and choose ATT next, will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan? Or will choosing to pay for it with next cause me to lose the unlimited data and force me to also choose a new data plan? Any help very much appreciated! Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Bump

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should be able to keep it and just basically have an extra payment for the device.

19. Platyrrhine macrumors newbie

Ok awesome thanks!!