Carrier AT&T upgrade available on 10/7, is there any chance for an early upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MusicEnthusiast, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MusicEnthusiast, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Hi all!

Actually, this is for the year 2015 when I plan on switching to the iPhone (will be a 6s by then). The family plan I'm with has had an account for 9 years.

Is there any chance I can get the iPhone on launch day next year, either based on being long-time customers or perhaps AT&T being super chill in letting me upgrade 3 weeks earlier?

2. ScottJ macrumors regular

A number of people have been able to get an early standard (not Next) upgrade through AT&T by calling the Customer Retention Department (me included). You don't have to get upset with them or threaten to leave - simply ask for the early upgrade. The only hitch is that you have to order through them over the phone. Then, your order will join the mass of backed-up launch day orders waiting to be shipped eventually.

I didn't discover this myself until last Saturday, and by the time I placed my order I had a 3 to 4 week lead time for shipping. I'll probably get my iPhone 6 anywhere from two days to two weeks before my standard upgrade date.

Next year, if the iPhone release day is within a week of your standard upgrade date, I'd hold off and wait until 12 a.m. of your upgrade date and place an order through Apple for store pickup...

3. b1scu1t macrumors regular

My eligibility date was 10/8/2014 but I called the retention department. Unfortunately they were not able to get a pre order in. They were able to place an order for me on the friday the phones were available for sale.

Looking at the current back log, I will probably get my phone the first week of november or so.