AT&T upgrade date changed!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psherman42walla, Feb 23, 2011.

1. psherman42walla, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

psherman42walla macrumors member

So I was bored and decided to check my upgrade eligible date on my AT&T account online and the dates on all five lines are changed. =(

The all now say:
    As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade on this line, with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year contract. Using your phone, dial *NEW# (*639#) then select Call/Send. You will receive a free text message from AT&T displaying your upgrade status. Click on "Shop for Devices" to order a new device.

While before, it actually stated the actual date. I decided to dial *639# to see what comes up and the text that I recieved states:

A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 01/07/2012. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer.

This is strange because a few weeks back when I check the full subsidized upgrade date was 07/07/2011.

The only change that I have made is adding a FAN discount. If I knew that it would effect my upgrade eligibility date, I would have not done so.

Has anyone else experience this with your upgrade date on your account after adding a FAN discount? If you have recently added a FAN discount, I recommend you should check your eligibility.

This really grinds my gears that this happened. I was hoping to upgrade to another phone in July.

AT&T. Re-thunk. Different Carrier

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How much was your bill before and after the FAN account being added?

If you were over $100 before taxes, you can upgrade every 12 months, otherwise its 18-20 months depending on how much your bill is.

3. psherman42walla thread starter macrumors member

My bill was around $250 before adding FAN. Now around $216 after FAN. This is for all 5 lines with 3 iPhones with unlimited data plans.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Are you the primary? The line that was eligible in July? If so how much was your individual line, the primary line of your bill before and after. This includes your Minutes, data and unlimited family text if on your bill.

5. psherman42walla, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

psherman42walla thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it is the primary line: $40 minutes, $30 iPhone data, $30 unlimited text for family, and the FAN only took off $4.50 (huge savings).

I wonder if they would let me take the FAN off and switch my upgrade date back.

What is strange is that one of the lines that was off the contract (finished 24 months) was not even eligible.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Well, that right there did the trick. You dropped below the $100 threshold by saving $4.50 on the line. You should save a little more though. I save $5.60 on data and $19 off $80 minute package, there is no savings on texting.

Not sure about the off contract upgrade, that seems a little weird, but the FAN discount took away your 12 month upgrade. Either upgrade to the next minute tier or drop the FAN in order to get your upgrade back.

You are saving quite a bit a month though. If you take that 30 you are saving a month, 360 a year, you can actually just do an early iPhone upgrade. It will cost you 200 more than full upgrade, and you will still end out being 160+ ahead with the FAN.

Food for thought. Hope this was helpful.

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The above poster is correct. I would simply add a $5 feature to put the primary line above the $100 threshold while still allowing you to retain the FAN discount. Try adding international testing to Canada for $5? Or maybe something you'd like and likely use like the tracking service.

8. psherman42walla thread starter macrumors member

Yeah very helpful, thanks. I guess I'll add an extra feature to make up the loss, I could always take the feature off after I upgrade.

Just wished I knew this before adding the FAN discount, then I could have waited.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

FAN discounts don't have to do with the upgrade from what I'm told.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

something must not be right with your account, and the FAN discount shouldn't have anything to do with it. I just tried the *639# thing now, and get a date back in my text and it's the same date I've been given for at least the last 9 months now.

11. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

This should take care of your issue, although something doesn't seem right about your account.