At&t Upgrade Dilema Case #343747384738

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SBourgault12, Oct 5, 2011.

1. SBourgault12 macrumors newbie

Try to keep this short as possible.

I used a full upgrade on April 28th to purchase the white IP4. When I use At&t's website to get an upgrade status it says I am not due for any discounts until 11/29/2012. When I use apple's website it says I can do an early upgrade on 11/25/2011.

I called At&t earlier and asked them what was up. The representative said that she could see in the system I was do for an early upgrade on Oct. 25, 2011, and so that's the date she moved it to. I didn't even bother asking about the above two dates and their discrepancies.

I'm assuming the Oct. 25th date is my early upgrade after 6 months (180 days actually) with At&t. Since there is no way to preorder or order the phone until Oct. 25th, I figure I will be waiting until roughly late November until I am able to receive one.

I know it's greasy, and I would only do it to secure an iPhone 4S at an earlier date, but what if I:

Preordered an unsubsidized 16GB for 650 this Friday and returned it within 30 days so that I would be able to use my early upgrade and "re-purchase" a 4S for 200 bucks less. I know a lot of others who were early IP4 buyers in June that won't have upgrades until November...just curious as what others thought, if it's even do-able.

That being said, people who are complaining about the 4S not being a decent upgrade can ******* off.

-First post, complete.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think the 4S is a good update.

Your plan of using the phone with the intention of returning it is no better than someone who buys a suit to wear for a day then returns it the next. Just wait for your upgrade or pony up.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How did you get an early upgrade after only being on contract for 6 months ?

I have 2 phones that are 14 months into contract and I have no early upgrade.

4. SBourgault12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that At&t gave "early" upgrades after 6 months regardless of your phone plan, and "full" upgrades after 18 months.

FYI I have had a 3-member family plan (2 of them iPhone users) since April 2010 but was told earlier today that it didn't have to do with any of that.

Who knows. At&t's upgrade policy is non-existent.

5. SBourgault12 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Is it really worth it to:
    wait in line,
    buy a phone for $650,
    set it up with your account,
    sync it to iTunes,
    use it for a few weeks,
    wipe it,
    pack it up,
    wait in line or ship it back
    and then do it all over again when your contract phone comes just for having a iPhone 4S four weeks earlier?

Also there is the risk that you scratch the $650 Phone and they won't take it back.

I've been due for an update for 6 month or more and I don't even plan to look at a 4S before December. At that time I can simply walk into any Apple store and buy one in less than 5 min.