AT&T upgrade fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooberton, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Gooberton, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014

Gooberton macrumors 65816

So I'm finally up for an upgrade and want the 6+
    I check my eligibility and it says congrats your eligible for NEXT or.. 2 year service upgrade plus 40 DOLLAR UPGRADE FEE . I mean wtf 40 dollars to upgrade after I just waited 2 years and have been a customer for 6 years?!

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

There has always been an upgrade fee, is this your first time upgrading a phone with them in 6 years?

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Many have been successful in getting it waived if they complain loudly enough and threaten to leave for another carrier... or you can pay it and move on with your life

4. mojito macrumors member

This is a mega corporation and there's always been an upgrade fee. It probably used to be like $10-$20 so you never cared or noticed, but now it's $40. Yes it does suck, but it is what it is. If you don't like their fees or services, switch over to someone else. You're not special in their eyes.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

its been 38 dollars at least since the 3GS

As for getting it waived if you complain enough my personal experience is that since the NEXT plan came out it is nearly impossible to get the fee waived.

6. inthecup macrumors regular

I'm switching over to AT&T Next .... Just think it's a better deal once I understood it. Just coming off my last 2 year agreement now.

7. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Why do you think it's a a better deal? Do you not have a grandfathered unlimited data plan or do you just not use much data?

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You don't even have to get loud anymore most of the time. My wife and I have separate accounts. Last time we upgraded I got on online chat for both lines and simply asked for the fees to be waived. They credited both bills for the fee.

9. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

I have unlimited data so NEXT will cancel that I assume?
    Also if I DID do next can you pay "towards" the phone to lower your next payment it do you have to just pay toward the whole bill ahead of time ?

10. inthecup macrumors regular

No I do not have grandfathered data ... I have 10GB family with 2 phones ... So I pay $15 charge per phone instead of the $40 pet phone that the NEW contracts charge ... Saves me $50 a month.

11. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

But I need to keep unlimited

12. Truthfulie macrumors regular

quick question, is there upgrade fee with Next as well?

13. Barbs macrumors 6502

I have never paid the upgrade fee. I have a family plan with 3 iphones on it and I have succesfully had AT&T waive the upgrade fee on all 3 each time we have upgraded to new iphones.

Just call and talk to a rep. Tell them you have been a loyal customer for X number of years and that you would like for them to waive the fee.

If the first rep doesn't do it, just call back and talk with someone else. I've usually had all 3 waived with about 10 minutes of work.

14. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I hate those fees. You already locked me in for another 2 years, WTF is the fee. No matter how you dress it, A Total Turd (ATT) will always smell. I'm switching to Tmobile, no tax, no 911 fees, no FCC tax, $30 every month unlimited data and text.

And no, I don't work for Tmobile. Have been an ATT customer for over 14 years. And this would be my last.

15. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

There is no upgrade fee with the next plan and the next plan has nothing to do with unlimited data plans